Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds 1950 Ford Pickup with Daisy Duke type Character in 1/25th scale

This kit has been sat half made on the shelf of procrastination for far too long, time to take another look at it and get it back on it's wheels.
ford pickup box artwork.jpg

the model is in sub assemblies ready for further work. Im thinking lots of surface rust for that ratrod look.
kit part made.jpg

to pep it up a bit, I'll place it on a piece of ground work with a figure, a lass who knows how to wear a pair of Levi Denim jeans.
Daisey unpainted a.jpg

Daz

LE
to add a little human interest to the model I'll add a figure, as my original resin figure mentioned above was cocked up , I purchased this figure as a stand in.
billy jean box art.jpg

the box is rather overdone for one small sprueframe for one figure, but marketing have their reasons I guess.
billy jean kit.jpg

the figure is injection molded, so you have to expect these mold line down the joints between the mold halves.
billy jean sprue frames mold lines a.jpg

using the edge of a modelling knife, simply scraping away the line, being careful not to damage surrounding material.
billy jean mold line on back of straight leg.jpg

with the line gone, a clean uo and reshape with fine emery cloth polishes out any sign the line was there.
billy jean mold line gone front of straight leg.jpg

the kit face compared to the artwork, I think the artist who sculpted and the art work artist should have worked more closely together.
billy jean box art cu face.jpg

not so much Mindy as the box art suggest, more Billy jean, which does I admit, fit in better with a 1950's Pickup truck.
billy jean kit face fitted to neck.jpg

trial test fit, to see if the figure fits well with the cab, the toe of the shoe is the right height to rest on the step side.
billy jean trial test leaning on the cab b.jpg

the white Milliput fine in use at the arm and neck joins. I was hoping for alluring, guess I'll have to go with Psycho. Would you accept a lift off this momma.
billy jean scary spice.jpg

Verwaltung

Clanker
Hmm, hard to say, but cross referencing with standard sources relating to human anatomy (xrodent, imagef-- etc) isn't her neck a little long, perhaps?

head sawn off and stuck on a cocktail stick for easy painting access, as learnt on here, cutting off the head necessitated shortening her neck as well. Changing her name from Billy Joe to Anne.
severed head.jpg

I scrubbed the paint off and started again, it's frustrating when you want to achieve figure painting and it seems to be beyond your capabilities, but striving on and not giving up, I'm slowly getting better.
second paint on Billy jean.jpg

The girl and her pickup truck, probably poses more questions than it answers, why is an android pleasure doll from the future driving such an old truck, who or what is she waiting for out on the white sands of Utah. Better not display this in front of children, we don't want nightmares before Christmas.
whate sands b.jpg

whate sands c.jpg

white sands a.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
The figure is not at all bad mate, it just needs some minor tweaks, more flesh around the eyes will cure that 1,000 yd stare, use some light dry brushing on the hair, more work on shadows under the top and around the shorts where they meet the flesh and see how it looks. That sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't and will make it that more real I think. On the eyes it just occurred to me, did you put a drop of grey/blue into the white, if not also try that too, pure white always looks glaring. The truck looks superb to me

The figure is not at all bad mate, it just needs some minor tweaks, more flesh around the eyes will cure that 1,000 yd stare, use some light dry brushing on the hair, more work on shadows under the top and around the shorts where they meet the flesh and see how it looks. That sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't and will make it that more real I think. On the eyes it just occurred to me, did you put a drop of grey/blue into the white, if not also try that too, pure white always looks glaring. The truck looks superb to me
thanks for those tips, anything to make her look less like an android pleasure doll from the future

Latest Threads