1945 Election

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by mr.fawlty, Oct 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The 1945 election in Britain and the loss of the election by the Tories is I think the biggest political disaster in British history. Agree?
  2. Perhaps. Certainly the huge sums spent on the programme of nationalisation could be seen to be a waste but have a look at the manifesto (http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/area/uk/man/lab45.htm) and put yourself in the position of an ordinary bloke returning from six years of war, knowing that your father hardly got a fair deal after doing his bit in WW1. Pledges sound quite attractive and not utterly unreasonable.

I think Churchill's overreaction (making a rather unnecessary comparison of a Labour administration with the Gestapo) didn't help either.
  3. Not really after 6 years of war, every one was looking for some thing different. Also during the war it had been a National Government.
  4. Well, my stepdad and his brothers would have all have disagreed with you. He told me that as 1944 turned into 1945 and the damned Jerries kept shooting at them, they were fighting as much for a change in the British Government as for getting rid of Adolf H and his band of nutters... They were all from the East End of London and although working class would not be considered particularly left wing... My stepdad described it as them seeing (and fighting for) a chance for the normal people of Britain to get a say in what went on. Also, they were very aware that Hitler could have been stopped if the Tories had been a bit more aware
  5. Disagree. Relatives of mine told stories of discussing elements of what become the Manifesto e.g. the Beveridge/NHS proposals, in quiet moments before major battles, courtesy of the Army Bureau of Current Affairs. The image of these men sitting round their tanks in vineyards in Italy (or wherever) quietly deciding the sort of society they wanted when they got home (those who made it) is incredibly moving. Needless to say the gov hated ABCA:

6. It's surprisingly easy to be wise after an event. I'm not arguing that Chamberlain didn't make a mistake in Munich but on the plus side it gave Great Britain a chance to at least start to build up it's armed forces. You have to remember that at that time the US was very isolationist and there wa every possibility that we would have been alone especially as Russia had also signed a non-agression pact with Germany. The vote in 1945 was in my opinion no more than a call for change and the government of the previous 6 years had had very little tim eto concentrate on social reform.
  7. I believe the 1945 election has been referred to as the RAEC's only battle honour as the then Sgt Instructors were said to have taught the compulsory current affairs classes with a left wing slant
  8. I think you have a point - however, from what my stepdad said, the voters in 1945 didn't agree :D
  9. Many, including my Dad ,were still fighting for King and Country.

He and many others were in India, fighting Ghandis lot.
  10. Beat me to it but your reasoning is what I heard from burggers than me. War changes everything and I suspect that being war weary the troops and their families wanted a fresh start. Some of the changes were good and some were a complete waste of money (nationalisation) by the comrades but one thing is for sure - it changed everything for ever.
  11. No, the biggest political disaster would have been doing a deal with Hitler in 1940. That said Britain hasn't had a democratic election since 1931.
  12. i agree old man but no government here survives a long campaign, short puchy victories ala Falklands most certainly ( no disrepect to Falkland vets, 1 life is 1 too many, Brittish blood aint for spillin) but never one of the great epic carnages.
  13. Don't forget one thing! I for instance was old enough to be a squaddy but not old enough to vote! 21 was the voting age.
  14. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

George MacDonald Frazer looks at the election in his autobiography Quartered Safe Out Here (if you like a non-fiction prequel to the MacAuslan series).

Cannit be arrsed to recant it here. Go out, buy the book and read it for yourself.
  15. I read in one biography of Bill Slim that he told Winston to his face that
    "My lot would'nt be voting for you"

Labour had told its normal lies and The Conservative Party where held by the Man in the Street to be the party the had allowed the war to happen.