1944 Para Question

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
Spotted this photo on-line and I'm curious about the chevrons/wings positioning. It's captioned:

The Queen and Princess Elizabeth visit paratroopers during a tour of airborne forces preparing for D-Day, 1944.

I think we can rule out 'Walt", so any ideas about why this was done?

10397153_698489723532629_957458688995348568_o.jpg

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
sorry I cant answer your question from a military perspective, could it have been doen that way to save time, or a rushed promotion
what stuns me is just how young he is

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
He is identified as Corporal "Jungle" Jones. The date is 19 May 1944.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I love the bit of rope around his neck holding the Sten ? he also has a pistol
I am also aware of how good looking the Queen Mother was, meeting her much later in life she still had style and grace. that young girl on the right is giving him the eye !!

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
The unit is 22nd Independent Parachute Company, 6th Airborne Division.

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
I love the bit of rope around his neck holding the Sten ? he also has a pistol
I am also aware of how good looking the Queen Mother was, meeting her much later in life she still had style and grace. that young girl on the right is giving him the eye !!

I'd missed the Sten.

I like the bloke to his left - is that the bottom of a sheath for a F-S knife just peeping out of his harness? And did someone pull his chin-cup over his mouth to keep him quiet?!

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
is that a revolver or an automatic pistol in the sheath ? and what are the metal things on his right breast
I love old pictures, in black and white they tell you so much, those older Snappers really knew how to compose and crop a picture

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
Some quick searching turns up this -

"Parachute qualification wings

This qualification badge was approved by Army Council Instruction 1589 on 28 December 1940.
Early wings show a square serge patch, later it followed the shape of the wings and parachute on it. Only an embroidered version was made.
To qualify, the soldier had to make 8 jumps; two from a balloon including one at night, three jumps from an airplane without equipment and three jums from an airplane fully equipped. If a parachutist refused to jump, the badge was withdrawn.
The badge was worn on the right arm of the Denison smock, Battle dress, Gabardine Jump smock and Service Dress midway between the elbow and the shoulder. For NCO's this would mean placing the badge on top of their rank chevrons; ACI from 17 June 1942 then instructed the badge to be worn two inches below the shoulder. "
So I'm guessing those who were awarded their wings pre-June 1942 were allowed to continue wearing them on top of their chevrons ?

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
is that a revolver or an automatic pistol in the sheath ? and what are the metal things on his right breast
I love old pictures, in black and white they tell you so much, those older Snappers really knew how to compose and crop a picture

I think he's got a couple of Sten mags in his RH pocket.

I'm trying to work out what's going on with the Sten. He's got the butt removed, so the muzzle must be facing ot his left, but it looks as though there's a pistol grip at that end too?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I justhad a look at the diaries for the landings, but no Jones showed up injured or killed
some one on here must know who that handsome young man is wand what happened to him
I was wondering if because the image was used in the newspapers ( and could be read by the germans a few days later) they used a false name
from his freckles and skin complexion I would say hes a redhead

Spotted this photo on-line and I'm curious about the chevrons/wings positioning. It's captioned:

The Queen and Princess Elizabeth visit paratroopers during a tour of airborne forces preparing for D-Day, 1944.

I think we can rule out 'Walt", so any ideas about why this was done?

View attachment 170690

'And what do you do?';) Sitting one time with a group of guys in an annex beside the room in which some miscreant was being court martialed. One of the potential witnesses a Cpl,left his tunic hanging on the back of a chair.Leaves the room for a tab or a dump or somesuch.One of the blokes has his housewife, slits off the stripes and tacks them on again upside down.Oh how we laughed.Oh how we were beasted after..:) Happy days...

I justhad a look at the diaries for the landings, but no Jones showed up injured or killed
some one on here must know who that handsome young man is wand what happened to him
I was wondering if because the image was used in the newspapers ( and could be read by the germans a few days later) they used a false name

I'd say you have severe issues.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru

I had a look at the same site and Cpl Jones may have been part of the re-inforcement party commanded by Sgt Hulme that took off from RAF Keevil.

Or not.

303rifleman

Old-Salt
List of those that jumped in on D Day
22 Independent Parachute Company : Major Francis Gordon Lennox-Boyd
(Plane Chalk No. 1)
Major Francis Gordon Lennox-Boyd (KIA 6 June 44)
Lieutenant L. Moore (attached from Royal Signals)
Serjeant L. Drake
Serjeant Lindores
Serjeant S. Patterson (Royal Army Medical Corps)
Corporal Corbett
Private Beattie (WIA 12 June 44)
Private Hinchcliffe
Private R. Newton
Private T. O'Brien
(Plane Chalk No. 2)
Captain Ian Andrew Tait (KIA 9 June 44)
Company Serjeant Major Bernard McGuinness (WIA 9 June 44)
Serjeant Frederick Scogging (KIA 9 June 44)
Lance-Corporal G. Fairhurst
Corporal Dodwell
Corporal Johnston
Corporal O. Kendall
Corporal Maw
Private Edward Sidney Gillum (KIA 9 June 44)
Private Morrell
(Plane Chalk No. 46)
Lieutenant Robert Edward Vane de Lautour (KIA 20 June 44)
Serjeant Ramage
Lance-Corporal Edward Glenn (KIA 7 June 44)
Corporal Brooker
Private Bradley
Private Brown
Private Deakin
Private Hardwick
Private Mikeson
Private O'Mahoney
(Plane Chalk No. 47)
Lieutenant D. C. E. Wells
Serjeant P. Fordyce
Serjeant M. Wells
Lance-Corporal Leonard Howarth (KIA 6 June 44)
Corporal F. Nowell
Private Challis
Private Christie
Private Gordon
Private Hall
Private Frederick Arthur "Roxy" Lovatt
(Plane Chalk No. 48)
Lieutenant Robert "Bob" Midwood
Lance-Serjeant A. Boardman
Serjeant Leverett
Serjeant Long
Lance-Corporal Edward Delaney O'Sullivan (KIA 6 June 44)
Lance-Corporal R. Hackman
Lance-Corporal L. Naughton
Lance-Corporal Ray Povey
Private Morrisey
Private Stenham
(Plane Chalk No. 49)
Lieutenant J. Vischer
Serjeant P. Holly
Serjeant E. Jordan
Serjeant A. Kidd
Serjeant Shacklady
Serjeant Smith
Lance-Corporal J. Parry
Private R. Mitchell
Private Pritchard
Private Griff Thomas

The stick in the photo has the appearance of a small group selected to demo to the visitors the typical composition of an airborne operational troop.
The harnesses look 'slack' and not as per jump mode. The gent second from left has an bandolier of ammo dangling about his neck, not ideal in any slipstream, even allowing for the low drop speeds in those times. There's more on kit, but you get the idea.
I can't explain the wings across the chevrons. There were a few wings 'affectations' in those days.

Re. The rope. It's a "toggle rope"
Each man carried a single length and the could be worked together to form various "rope-y" constructions without cutting or tying. In about a decade of showing WWII Brit Airborne equipment it is by far the most remarked upon piece of kit.

TG_zpsaee822c8.jpg

Latest Threads