Builds 1940 Ford Coupe 1/25th scale by lindburg, Desert find

This is an odd kit left over from a Doge truck towing a flatbed trailer.
lindburg box art a.jpg

it's an unbuilt, separately bagged kit of a 1940 Ford Coupe. The trailer got broken up and lost during my house move in 2017.
box lid off.jpg

the dodge truck cab/tractor unit has survived, but what an oddball.
lindburg box art a.jpg
box lid off.jpg
dodge tractor a.jpg

Anyway, I'm putting that squat, puglike, Toadtruck to one side, actually back into the box and up out of the way in the stash, so I can concentrate on this.
body shell.jpg

to say I love old cars is an understatement. This one is Ugly as feck, and I've got a couple of ideas that need whittling down to one that's not been done.
front end of body.jpg

or, as a desert derelict, I'll have to make a Cactus, (oh no, not tumbleweed again)
First step, bonding the two halves of the engine block, held together with sprung tweezers while it dries.
engine block step one.jpg

engine block built.jpg

it looks dead basic, but it is an old Lindburg kit. Daz might be along later to tell us how old.
engine block built b.jpg

The body shell will be sand blasted by sandstorms in the Nevada Desert to pare steel, then surface rust from the early morning dew. But first Blue body grey wings, looks terrible I know, but it'll just form the base colour under the rust in patches.
blue grey b.jpg

the first rust colour, darker shades first, building up to lighter, almost yellow rust.
first salt.jpg

second stage, getting lighter between stages of sprinkled salt
dusting salt off the bonnet step three.jpg

third stage begining to look like rust isn't it.
stage three rear quarter view.jpg

with further steps of the salt technique, the rust gets more and more like the real thing
third stage front.jpg

not sure if it would have green moss on it, it's not like it's in Britain, I think the dryness of the long desert days would kill any moss or algie
third stage overhead.jpg

There was as much algie Growing on my 1968 Moggie pickup, when I found her, as there was rust, but this is The wet UK. not the metal preserving Navada Desert.
pickup day one.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
with further steps of the salt technique, the rust gets more and more like the real thing
View attachment 571968
not sure if it would have green moss on it, it's not like it's in Britain, I think the dryness of the long desert days would kill any moss or algie
View attachment 571969
Looks brilliant, I doubt moss would survive, possibly some lichens might in the parts the sun can't hit. Some pics here you might find handy

Last edited:
Some pics here you might find handy

That was handy cheers, in fact it includes a ford 40 Coupe in the Namibia Desert. Looks like I got the finish right, but they all look picked clean of parts, whereas mine is going to be on private land, untouched since it was laid up.

the fourth stage completed, now for some work on the parts I haven't touched yet.
fourth stage completed b.jpg

Daz

LE
That kit dates from 2006

The breakdown would be 40 Ford Coupe, circa 1991, Dodge L-700 Tilt Cab and trailer, IMC 1965

all four wheels, bumpers, headlight buckets fitted, the Chrome buckets need more toning down. The glazing needs some dust so it fits in with the desert environment.
wheels and bumpers on.jpg

either this, as a Period Cop car. Not that I have the decals...
View attachment 571954

Nasty moment in 1940 history
View attachment 571955
Anorak on, the Normandie burned in Feb 1942 @ pier 86 on the Hudson.

NYPD cars of the time had a 3 color scheme

White- Roof, Trunk.
Black- Fenders
Olive green- Hood, Doors

the schemes stayed the same until 1973 IIRC when they went to Light blue over white

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Anyway, I'm putting that squat, puglike, Toadtruck to one side, actually back into the box and up out of the way in the stash, so I can concentrate on this.
View attachment 571952
to say I love old cars is an understatement. This one is Ugly as feck, and I've got a couple of ideas that need whittling down to one that's not been done.
View attachment 571953
Gas Monkey it:-D

2FD6DF52-4897-40AA-8BB4-B3E66B7A504F.jpeg

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

Tell your minions to do a fairly mild chop, staff then go bonkers behind your back and spend more than you planned, while you create a deadline, almost run out of time before pulling a dramatic all nighter to miraculously have it finished just in time for the show/customer/auction?

Then do the same next week?

still to do on it, airbrush some dust on the glass, a plant or two, some rocks.
It'll just need fresh fuel in the carb, a new battery, she'll start right up and her new proud owner can drive her up onto the flatbed, ready to go home for a full on restoration.
wet sand wide view.jpg

In the meantime, the Desert winds of Navada blow, sand gathers on the running boards, a nearby gate creeks in time to the old guy's rocking chair on the porch.
" Yes siree, bought this in fourty six when I gut out o tha Navy, She still smelled new, hardly been used, that smeel, bettr'n pussy"
wet sand.jpg

the sand is still wet, it's made up from PVA glue, water and sand, mixed to a paste. the drying time is still to be discovered, leave it to one side to find out.

Latest Threads