1939-45 Star Question

Discussion in 'Medals' started by Vladimir_Ilyich_Crab, Aug 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all,

I'm after some gen from one of those with good medal knowledge. I was told that the 1939-45 star was actually awarded and worn mid-war - so one of the few non-gallantry ribbons seen whilst hostilities were still going on (unless you were ex WWI or Empire obviously).

Can anyone confirm or deny, and have you got a good internet point of reference?

Cheers

2. I think at the time it was 1939-43 then became 1939-45

Pinched from some medal spotter's website

3. The Ribbons for the 1939-43 Star and Africa Star were awarded during the war the 1939-43 Star became the 1939-45 Star my Grandads paybook has awarded Africa Star with 1st Army clasp in Nov 43 the medals them selves were not actually given out till after the war origionally you could not be awarded both but that was changed towards the end of the war

4. Awesome many thanks

5. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Need some advice on this as the criteria is somewhat vague (having checked official sites) stating 180 days in an Operational Theatre (Army) - skip to my bold for specific question.

My Grandfather was originally enlisted in to the TA as a Gunner, RA, CD & AA on 25 April 1939.

He was called up on 24/8/39
    He spent 316 days with 203 Bty/56 & 203Bty/12 HAA - No details of theatre given on record, simply posted and relevant part 2 order but I presume 'Home'
    whilst no entry is given of a Part II, he went to Iceland 6/7/41 to 5/9/42 with 203/12 HAA (1yr and 62 days)
    Again, no entry of a Part II, but serves at home 6/9/42 to 31/12/44 (Unit unknown but 2 yrs and 117 days)
    On 9/5/44 he is transferred (as a lot were to reinforce lost numbers) to the West Yorkshire Regt (So 9/5/44 to 31/12/44 was with West Yorks)

The next entry states "Special list issued not yet returned" - Any one with an idea what this means? Could it be the issue of a Will as he was due overseas (my best guess)? Will is stated on top of service sheet stating received 12/2/45.

He then goes off to India 1/1/45 to 21/10/45 (294 days)

Record however has no recording of Part II, posting or unit.
    Next entry is 'India Com TC Kalyan - transferred to 2nd Bn KOYLI (7/3/45 (though GHQ entry is dated 20/1/45)

No further entries are made until 24/10/45 'Proceed of release leave)

I've been in touch with the KOYLI association to see where the KOYLI's went from Kalyan as this was a transit camp.

Oddly enough, his AFB 104 is a bit more detailed re Part II orders:
    1/2/45 Transit camp Kalyan
    7/3/45 2nd Bn KOYLI
    12/4/45 Part II Order 58/45 entry 'x (ii)' I presume means ditto
    13/4/45 Part II 127/45 entry '2nd Bn'
    29/7/45 Part II 127/45 entry 'x (ii)
    17/8/45 Part II 137/45 entry '2nd Bn)
    27/9/45 Part II 153/45 entry 'HQTD ('A' Release) X8a'
    22/10/45 Disembarked UK

I know it's a lot of detail, but his medal record shows entries for TA Efficiency, War and Defence Medal. Given that he went to India (and Iceland), would he not have entitlement to the 39-45 Star (over the 180 days), or despite being called up, this was not awarded to TA servicemen?

He told my Mother that he had served in Burma, so I can't see why he would so say so if he only served in India. Anyone on here know details about 2 KOYLI India 1945?

Edit: I now believe entries with 'x (ii)' mean hospitalised, which would make sense as next entry being back with unit

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  6. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Think I've got the answer following todays research, so I am posting this link to save any of you buggers the headache if you ever need info on the criteria: NZDF - The 1939 - 1945 Star regulations

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Rod924. These links might help shed some light. According to the West Yorks website, the 1st and 2nd Battalion's were in Burma in 44/45. Home page Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 56th (Cornwall) Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Many thanks for the link, especially the dropshorts one, that explains a lot. Ironically, after a full days search I came across this pic in, of all places, 'Piston Heads' of KOYLI in Goa. I immediately was drawn to the man on the right on the second row from the front which I believe is him. My brother too identified him without prompting so I will email the poster to see if any names are on the reverse of this picture.

Thanks again for the link.
    Leonard.jpg

9. Glad the link helped. Be good if you could positively ID your Grandfather.

10. AIRBORNEJOCK

AIRBORNEJOCK War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Did he not qualify for the war medal aswell? Question not a statement.

11. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Yes, both War and defence medals

• Like Like x 1
  12. AIRBORNEJOCK

AIRBORNEJOCK War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Just read that again apologies