192.com - Government registrar details online

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Pacifist_Jihadist, Apr 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Through general stumbling around on google I found a website called www.192.com which raised some major red flags for me. Firstly be aware that all the info this website holds are all publically available, they just pool them all together into a fee charging website for easy access to all. The records they make available are name, age, address, contact phone number (land line and mobile), birth records, death records, marriage records, previous property owners/occupants, property prices, aerial and street views of properly plus all of the above of your neighbours. This scared the crap out of me! I don’t mind the government having this data in whatever haphazard or consolidated databases they have but not private companies selling it all for profit to Joe Public. Personally I know of one family friend who is on there and is presently a witness in a high profile criminal investigation, scary possibilities.

Their help section is detailed on how to remove yourself from their system plus others (see OSIS, Operator Service Information Servide), I think a lot of you will do so. I'm just making you all aware its there and wondering if anybody knows of similiar databases, hope it helps.

2. Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your post. We are always keen to know what people think of our service.

At 192.com we have always taken privacy extremely seriously. As you correctly point out you are able to remove your details from our site at any time. Please complete the following form and return it to us to have your details removed: http://statics.192.com/downloads/C01.pdf

192.com collates publically available information to help reunite family and friends. On Friday I was talking to a lady who, through 192.com, found a long lost brother, a sister she hadn’t seen since she was eight, and 12 cousins. We also help ex-service personnel reunite with their old regiments, as you can read in this case study: http://www.192.com/info/peoplereunited/veteransreunited/

Please do be in touch if you have any questions, I can be contacted on feedback at 192.com

Alex Clare
    192.com

3. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

So why is it, each of the 4 times I have done this you have said that volumes to conduct this service are too high and you are unable to process the request?

Oh, and if my next one does not work - I intend on speaking with my MP.

4. Could not find myself on it - maybe I do not exist??

5. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Hmm, what i find interesting about this is the fact they have pulled the information from the electoral role. Now I am pretty sure that I have opted into having my information hidden, so this shouldn't be there.

Also, I believe a company cannot pass on any personal information about yourself without first having permission from the person. I am certain that I have never had a letter from these people asking if they can pass on my information.

6. As well as contacting your MP, may be an idea to contact the Information Commisioner's Office at this link - https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx and follow the details about lodging a complaint about Data Protection/Disclosure of personal information.
    Hopefully this will end up in the google rankings so that anyone else typing in "192.com complain" will be able to garner some ideas from this thread on what to do!

7. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Nowadays when you register to vote you can tick a box which stops your entry being put on the list that commercial companies can buy. However I note that 2002 roll data (before this facility was put in place) is listed on this website & so also phone numbers from before BT purged the phone book of people who are not now their customers.

Attempt to download the deletion request form failed (PREDICTABLY).

One could try a complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office (http://www.ico.gov.uk/ ) but the website says one has to have tried to bring the offender to heel oneself first and imposes various other hurdles that have to be jumped over. Might be worth a try though although I imagine the people who have cooked this up have scoped the Data Protection Act before getting started.

Meanwhile, if rung up by some unintelligible tout trying to sell you something, very quietly lay the phone down and tiptoe away.

8. mysteron

K_C & seaweed - many thanks. I shall be having some fun tomorrow I think.

9. mysteron

Also notice how Alex Care from 192.com has gone very quiet.......

I might have to do some reverse engineering on him if I don't get a response soon.

10. 192.com started out some years ago (10-ish, I seem to remember). I used to use it quite a lot when vetting employees for a Contract Research company. Other companies and organisations will use it for that purpose also.

The story I was told about it's development is that 192.com bought up the complete UK electoral roll and then sent it out to China to be put onto a database - at the time, it was the only legal way to do it, though I think this has now changed.

The detail you'll find on there is not wholly from the Electoral roll: stuff from canvassing companies, Companies House, researchers (the clown with the clip board who pings you on a Saturday morning fr'instance), Land Registry, etc. ALL of this information is within the public domain and readily available. Those little bits of info in themselves are all fairly innocent: it just gets a bit scary when someone puts it all together.

A bit of useless info: one thing you cannot do in UK is a reverse telephone number look-up: that is get a name and address from a telephone number. However, this is legal in US and one site there does claim to have the facility for US/Canada and UK numbers: when I used to use it, I found that their UK info was badly out of date.

11. The traffic this afternoon has been unusually high, which is why we have been unable to to process your request.

Please email your name and postcode to feedback@192.com, and we will remove your record within 24hrs. Apologies for the inconvience.

12. Dear Alex

Thanks very much for your answer. I would be grateful if you could publish your home telephone number, mobile number, personal e-mail address and home address on this site so that members can respond as they deem appropriate. You never know, some of the members may even be long-lost friends or relatives and you can include the heart-warming stories of re-union on your website.

Cheers

H

13. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Fixed it for you.

14. This whole thing has just gotten a whole lot scarier. I contacted their customer support and they have been very helpful so far. However on the topic of removing birth, death and marraige certs they say "The records cannot be removed from 192.com as they are scanned indexes, supplied to us by findmypast.com." Do any of the more legally aware know if there is anything i can use to force them to take them down short of going to a lawyer?

edit to update - Just off the phone with them. The certs are public documents so can be accessed by anybody plus published by any third party. Sombody in Westminster decided it would be a good idea for people to have the option to be removed from the published electoral role for persec reasons, they missed this massive loophole!

15. mysteron

TATP - it wasn't just the other day. I t has been the same for months. I am on 4th attempt and I have got all the right noises from one of their agents. They have until CoP today to deliver or I have their CEO's email and home telephone number. he might be getting calls at 11pm tonight, just to see how he likes it if his company doesn't deliver.

You read that Al Clare?????