1916 Parade in Dublin

flamingo said:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0416/parade.html

Links at the bottom of the story with video if anybody wants to see it.
I cannot understand why the 1916 parade is such a news event. It's been going on for the past 89 years and brought very little attention to the UK Media.

india-juliet said:
flamingo said:
http//www.rte.ie/news/2006/0416/parade.html

Links at the bottom of the story with video if anybody wants to see it.
I cannot understand why the 1916 parade is such a news event. It's been going on for the past 89 years and brought very little attention to the UK Media.
Because unlike last year's parade which was the 89th anniversary, this year's is the 90th. Didn't you know the significance of the 90th anniversary?

No, neither did I and who gives a fcuk anyway.

From the RTE Article...

He praised the 'pariotism and vision' of the men who, he said, 'set in train an unstoppable process which led to this country's political independence.'
Only for the current crop of politcians to sell said political independence to Brussels :wink:

This unstoppable process has been stopped for at least 35 years. If it ever moves agfain, exactly what direction will it go in and how will it be manifest ( a united island of Ireland?) ?

india-juliet said:
no it hasn't - it was stopped in 1970 because of government worries that such nationalist sentiment (the glorification of political violence by unelected paramilitary groups) might inflame the Troubles. It was brought back in this year to try to prevent Sinn Fein from eating into Fianna Fail's vote.

I doubt it'll even get mentioned in the UK media next year

and the present government is trying to take back the 1916 Rising from Sinn Fein and their gangsters. For the last 30 years Sinn fein have been fund raising and parading in most towns and cities on Easter Sunday, claiming to be the true heirs of the uprising and using it as an emotional recruiting tool.

Between 1969 and 2006 the only offical cemmoration was a small wreath laying ceremony in Kilmainman Jail where the leaders were shot.

Looks like it was all very pretty.

The report says that the reservists were on parade- is the film work drying up? Does it mean they'll be available for panto this Christmas? :twisted:

Yeah bit nippy for filming at this time of the year plus the quality of canteen food has fallen in recent years so Iv stopped applying as an extra :wink:

It was nice to claim the day back from the scum of this island *read Sinn Fein types*

Looks like it would be an interesting event to go to. Might have my Royal Munster Fusilier / Black and Tan Great-Grandad spinning in his grave if I did though :D

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Outstanding said:
This unstoppable process has been stopped for at least 35 years. If it ever moves agfain, exactly what direction will it go in and how will it be manifest ( a united island of Ireland?) ?
My bold and underlining

Outstanding, I don't often agree with you but here - yep.

:lol: how about inviting British Army to participate in next years parade, that will really put the wind up the IRA.

Did you see the state of the Irish Army. They looked like a bag of Sh@t . Their drill was terrible .
Talk about out of step . A bunch of UK ACF would have been a damn sight smarter .

paveway_3 said:
Did you see the state of the Irish Army. They looked like a bag of Sh@t . Their drill was terrible .
Talk about out of step . A bunch of UK ACF would have been a damn sight smarter .
noticed that, many of them were out of step and the officer in charge wasn't much better "marching" up to the president was not really marching, more like walking up ! no full swinging of arms, hopefully they will get that sorted for the 100th celebration.

from what i understand, the whole thing is notto remember the rising etc its to remember the Republicans, Civilians and British soldiers who died during the rising, in spite of the history, we still managed to have good relations with the Republic and many have served in the British Army WW! WW2 to today.

there is a plan to comemorate Irish dead that have served in the British Army.

we still managed to have good relations with the Republic and many have served in the British Army WW! WW2 to today.
WW!?

If you mean WW1, the Republic of Ireland did not exist then (nor did it in WW2 for that matter either) and those who fought in the British Army did so as British Citizens living in the UK.

I watched the full parade on Sky. I noticed a senior British Officer in the VIP stand who I presume may have been a Defence Attache assigned to the British Embassy in Dublin.

He saluted during last post etc. I think people need to realise that such a parade is not having a dig at the British. As the Irish PM quoted yesterday:

"As we look to the future, we must be generous and inclusive so that all of the people of Ireland can live together with each other and with our neighbours in Great Britain on a basis of friendship, respect, equality and partnership.

And every day, in every place, we will continue to work for peace, for justice, for prosperity and for reconciliation between all who share and who love this special island."

semper said:
paveway_3 said:
there is a plan to comemorate Irish dead that have served in the British Army.
Where are they planning to put it up? I've been ranting to anyone who will listen about the lack of Irish recognition for the men of Ireland who fought in WW1&2 and the thousands who died. I get particularly annoyed when the Irish rememberance day is held for "those Irish soldier who have died on UN duties". Now don't get me wrong - these men died whilst in the service of Ireland (and the UN) and rightly deserve to be remembered. However they number approx 60/70. The Irish from all denominations who died in the Great War and WW2 number in the thousands. Where's the remeberence for them? DeValera's revisionist historical propaganda that was rammed down every student (myself included) in Irish schools is abhorent. Our history has been hijacked by that "Spanish Onion in an Irish Stew". The problem is that no one in the Irish government can either a) remember the Irish contribution to the War effort or b) is too cowardly to recognise it for fear of giving Sinn Fein ammunition (excuse the pun).

As for the parade, I thought the Irish Defence Forces looked quite smart. Occasionally they were out of step but it's not easy trying to keep step with the band, especially on O'Connell St. with the sound echoing between buildings. Well done to them! They should be given more opportunity for public displays like that. It raises their profile and produces public good will towards them that can be converted to much needed budget increases.

As for the senior British VIP, according to the (crap!) RTE commentary he was the defence attache at the embassy.

semper said:
paveway_3 said:
noticed that, many of them were out of step and the officer in charge wasn't much better "marching" up to the president was not really marching, more like walking up ! no full swinging of arms, hopefully they will get that sorted for the 100th celebration.
In fairness we must remember that the Guard of Honour opposite the the reviewing stand and the officer in question were from the FCA and not the Regular Army, as such you have to give them some latitude for ropey drill. Anyone who's ever done a parede with STAB involvement will know what I mean! For all that their turnout was very good and they were fine as long as they were standing still. True they lost the step after two paces but the lousy tune the Band played as they stepped off didn't help, no "oomph" to it and you coulld'nt really hear the drum. essential with inexperienced troops. The marching contingents were also a mix of regulars and part-timers hence repeated loss of the step but inevitable in the circumstances. I also thought it was a mistake to combine a comemorative parade with a moving equipment display though I understand the reasoning behind it, few people in the Republic get a chance to see their Army and it's equipment and they still have an image problem anongst the less informed. I'm sure lessons will have been learnt improvements will follow in due course.