1915 BSA SMLE 1 MKIII

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by PRO_USA_UK, May 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well after 15 yrs of trying to find the correct parts. I finally was able to put my WWI (purchased for $8.00 in 1946) BSA SMLE 1 MKIII together! My father purchased it as surplus and it was sporterized, cut fore end, missing many parts, etc. Well, although it is not exactly perfect it is still one of my prized possessions.

Attached Files:

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well done, we can sometimes help with odds and sods!

3. good on you mate, its great to see evil sporterized guns go back to what they should be

4. I have one of those as well. Even has the Windage adjustable rear sight.

For a while I didnt understand why it had no Magazine Cutoff when supposedly that didnt happen till 1916. Then I found a reference that B.S.A. stopped that before the official consent was given.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Well done Sir!

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Now that depends, the factory conversions or new builds using parts were very nice and collectable on their own, some of the very tastefully done models by good gunsmiths ie Rigby etc are a joy to behold. Sadly the US contribution to the world of Gunsmithing culture was for a large part a chap with a hacksaw called Bubba!

7. Ugly, just a little clarification, I may be American. But my father was in the CDN Army in WWII and he purchased the rifle in Alberta. So, your point is well taken on weapons that "bubba" dicked with, but not this one.

Cheers

8. My stepfather has one, and a bayonet to go with. I'm itching for a chance to take it down to a full bore range, and put some rounds down it.