18th and 19th Century Cannons

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by curryhead, Jan 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I haven't been to Tobago for some years, but I distinctly remember running around on the grounds of Fort George and seeing these cannons as a kid.

There are two types, three small cannons and one large with its own carriage.

Wish I had some better pictures but my parents would have never let me use the camera as a kid. (Apparently they weren't curryhead running proof! :D )

Does anyone know of history websites that'll describe the operation and use of them?

*edited cuz I did crap with my html
  2. Quite a common sight on strategic Caribbean Islands.

There is a Long 9 in the water beside the old Tate and Lyle rum shop at Savanna-La-Mar in Jamaica, on the other side of the Sugar Wharf.

How much are they worth anyway?
  3. Looking at this site: http://www.cannon-mania.com/consignment.htm, average price of a small cannon is $3000.00 US.

The island cannons are the original 200+ year old deals. The mouth of the cannons are welded shut using a solid cannon round and the whole thing coated in a heavy black laquer. I haven't seen any rust on those at Fort George. At least $50,000 US per piece me thinks.
  4. There are two magnificent sculpted Bronze cannons in the Delft Army museum, made as a token of thanks from a German cannon maker to the Kingdom of the Netherlands for orders a few 100s of guns from his firm. They where taken to Paris when NL was invaded by the French, then taken to Vienna when the Prussians hit back since they mistook them as belonging to Germany, and finally ended up in Moscow when the Soviets took a liking to them at the end of WWII. The poor Cloggies have been trying to get them back ever since, even now they are on loan from the Moscow Artillery Museum.

Can't find a piccy though, big barstewards though, well over 7ft and sculpted on every surface and perfect condition.

If you find yourself in the low countries, the museum is well worth a look, and I can have the kettle on no time :D
  5. We 'generously' handed over a good slack handful of cannon to the ruler of Oman sometime in the 19th century but just handed over the naval gun barrels (less carriages). They are still in the capital, Muscat, as the Omanis buried them muzzle first and used them as bollards and thingies you tie ships to.
  6. Thats how the british disposed of the obsolete muzzle loading cannon. They were used as bollards in London and other cities. You can still see several examples around the older streets in London.