1879 Anglo-Zulu War Sources

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Countrylad, May 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've finished my exams for the year and am now free for a couple of months before attempting TA RMAS, so i thought i'd crack on with my dissertation for next year. I study war studies at KCL and the title for my dissertation is about British military leadership during the 1879 Anglo-Zulu war and some of its failings. I already have access to the National Army Museums archives (thanks to the fact my supervisor is on their governing committee) and a large amount of material. What i'm after is more basically any decent source on the Zulu war, especially with reference to British military leadership. Any help much appreciated.

2. I say old chap, could you use these sketches of Rorkes Drift?

Do a Google search for savage and soldier it may help?

Bill.

Attached Files:

3. Anything by Ian knight he's pretty much a zulu guru. Brave mens Blood is a pretty good read.

4. I would suggest going to the Victoria Cross Site, where you will find all the info on the Citations of the 11 V.C. Winners at Rorke's Drift, in particular, and very apt for yourself would be the citation for Lt. John Rouse Merriot Chard, Royal Engineers, whose Engineer background and obvious Leadership skills in the face of the enemy saved the day against the marauding hordes of Zulu's. This URL Links you to the Rorke's Drift V.C. Winners Page: http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/discussion.php?orderby=&forid=1&keyword=&offset=1780

Good Luck with your dissertation :wink:

5. David chandler did good book on the Zulu war.

He was an instructor at Sandhurst when I was there, and was very interesting and knowledgable.