1874 Antique Pitcher

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by slyestdog, Jun 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if anyone will be able to help me with this, but I figured since this is a military forum, someone might be able to give me some info on my item. I recently acquired this pitcher. I had a couple of people tell me that it looked like it is made out of silver. Inscribed on it is the following-

Presented by
    Sir Barrington Simeon Bart.
    To The 2nd Comp. I.W.R.V.
    Won By
    Private G. Grant
    Oct. 26, 1874

It looks pretty authentic (not that I am that knowledgeable). I googled Sir Barrington Simeon Bart. and not a whole lot came up. I don't even know for sure it is British, but based on the Sir, I thought it might be. Even info. on what I.W.R.V. stands for would help. I attached a couple of photos. Any info would be appreciated.

Paul

Attached Files:

2. IWRV is some Volunteer Rifle Corps possibly Isle of Wight.

If it is silver it will have hall marks somewhere.

3. Googling Barrington Simeon comes up with Sir John Barrington Simeon who was Southhamton/Isle of Wight gentry.

4. This from the IOW Beacon, an article on Gallipoli:

The Isle of Wight Rifles were formed in 1859. It was a part-time volunteer unit, echoing the centuries old tradition of the Island militia. From 1885 to 1896 their enthusiastic Colonel was Prince Henry of Battenburg who had married Queen Victoria’s youngest, Princess Beatrice, which is how the unit came to be named after her. They practiced on the rifle ranges at Newtown and Gurnard and held overnight camps, notably at Yaverland.
    At the outbreak of the First World War in August 1914 they were the Eighth Battalion of the Hampshire Regiment. However on mobilisation they were sent for training at Bury St Edmunds where they were combined with the 163rd Brigade of the ‘East Anglian’ 54th division. They were trained for action on the Western Front, but at the end of July 1915 found themselves setting sail from Liverpool aboard the Aquitania for Turkey. On the 6th August they disembarked at the Greek port of Mudros on the Isle of Lemnos, a short distance from the roaring battle of Gallipoli.

Might be worthwhile giving the IOW Beacon a bell.

5. Isle of Wight rifles, 8th bat the Hampshire regiment formed in 1859

6. If the piece is silver it will bear hallmarks showing the
    1-silver standard (Sterling or Britannia) (Sterling is lion-England, Harp-Ireland, thistle-Scotland)
    2-City of Assay (London-Leopard,
    3 - Year letter, letters for years and design changed at 25 year intervals
    4 - Mark of the goldsmith who made it, usually initials

Hallmarks are often on bottom or on a rim

The comments above are fairly accurate until the last 10 years or so when the EU required the UK to comply with the EU marking standards. The new ones are ugly.

Any decent library probably has a reference book showing all the marks, year letters (tricky for some) etc.

Some of the info you are looking for is at Silver Collector linky

Sorry, have to end now, severe thunder/lightning siren just sounded and I need to unplug the computer

7. www.gazettes-online.co.uk/issues/22583/pages/5579/page.pdf suggests that Isle of Wight Rifle Volunteers was their title in the 1860s. The Needles Battery website mentioned above shows they were around since 1859 in various formations.

The next step might be to check out the local newspaper archive around the date of the presentation to see if it was reported.

8. In the 1860 1/4 of the male population of the IoW some 3000 were members of the unit, as infantry and Artillery to help man the various forts and batterys on the Island which would only have had a small regular garrison

9. Thanks for all the info. As far as being silver, I don't see any markings on it at all besides the inscription. A magnet does not stick to it, so if it is not silver, I'm not sure what type of metal it is.

10. Could be Pewter, poormans silver

11. Apropos of nothing - I had a girlfriend whose father was in the IOW Rifles.

Fred lied about his age to join 4 Royal Sussex and was all set to go to France with them when his mother informed the Adjt that he was 16. He was packed off to the Gunners as a Boy, and ended up with the Needles Bty. We went to the Needles once and he was a mine of information even pointing out where one gunner had killed himself by dropping his tommy gun.

12. Here's another antique pitcher from 1874:

[​IMG]

Dick McBride of Philadelphia Athletics...

Judging by the trousers, he may also be a "ewer" :)