1812 Overture

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Narcissus, Dec 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is this possible the best piece of classical music? So may changing themes, and the crescendo!!!

It was one of the main pieces on classic FM's request thingy last night to raise money for musicmakers, and just watched V for Vendetta and when it is the sound track to the blowing up of the old bailey! Brilliant!!

Any recommendations for your favourite piece of classical?

2. Schubert Quintet in C Major D956 "Adagio", or the Mozart Lacrimosa Requiem.

And you didn't think I was cultured :p :p

3. The only person to benefit from 1812 was Tchaikovsky.

Violin Concerto In D, Op. 35 1: Allegro Moderato, Tchaikovsky again, is one of my favourites.

Bolero.

William Tell Overture

Pomp and Circumstance

And then some more modern scores for Battle of Britain, 633 Squadron, Dambusters etc!

Best music to run to imho - go for 1812 when then big fcuk off hill you always want to walk up appears and you'll be powering your way to the top before you know it :D

4. I wonder why anyone would think you weren't cultured?

:D

Ahem.

Good call on 1812 and I've far too many favourite pieces, but here are a few:

Nimrod, Enigma Variations - Elgar
    Radetzky March - Strauss Senior
    Tannhauser Overture - Wagner
    Concerto for 2 violins in D minor - Bach
    Piano Concerto No. 5 'Emperor' - Beethoven

5. Fair one!

6. Rejoice - Handel. Especially as performed by the former Future Mrs. PTP , with a full orchestra sawing away behind her

Magnificent.

.and she's a proper looker and all :D

www.sarahdoughty.co.uk

Also fond of Mozart 40 in G , I remember one particular instance with great affection, just before a dawn F+M, and Classic FM on the earpiece.

7. How could I forget good old Ludwig Van? Parts of the 9th, and he has some other truely stunning scores.

En Aranjuez con Tu Amor (orange juice)
    Londonderry Air
    Men of Harlech
    Dvorak - Symphony No. 9 in E minor (From the New World), B. 178 (Op. 95): Largo (incidentally what my mother walked down the isle to)
    Dvorak - 8 Slovanic Dances, Op46
    Piano Concerto No. 1: Allegro Non Troppo (Tchaikovsky again)
    Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 - Liszt (The Stella Artois advert on ice for you uncultured ones)
    Ludwig Van - Fur Eglise
    Mozart - Horn Concerto No.4 in E flat, 3rd movement: Finale: Rondo

:)

8. Well the entire suite from The Nutcracker!! I think I might be a Tchaikovsky fan you know...

But then I also quite like Vaugn williams the Lark Assending

Been watching Brassed off? :)

9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Good call on the 1812.
    Also Marche Slave (ibid)
    Overture from Romeo & Juliet (ibid)
    Piano Concerto No 1 in B Flat minor (ibid)
    I guess ibid is right up there on my list.
    Dance of The Knights (Prokofiev) but then, I am a Mackem so it goes without saying.
    Holst - The Planets (though a modern CD has a couple of extra tracks added for the planets discovered since he wrote it and they're Arrse - why DO people add sh!te to classic albums just for the sake of it? Grrr)
    There are others but they don't spring to mind ATM.

10. In no particular order:

Symphony No. 9 - Beethoven (all of it)
    Piano Concerto No. 5 'Emporer' - Beethoven
    1812 Overture - Tchaikovsky
    Symphony No. 9 'From the New World' - Dvorak, 4th movement in particular
    Night on Bare Mountain - Mussorgsky
    Pictures at an Exhibition - Mussorgsky
    Hungarian Dance No. 5 - Brahms
    The Montagues and Capulets - Prokofiev
    The Firebird - Stravinsky
    The Planets - Holst, Mars in particular
    Cello Concerto - Elgar

Honorable mentions for Adagio for Strings by Barber and Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner (did someone say Vietnam War Movies?).

I've always found Beethoven's 9th to be the most inspirational piece; not only because all 4 movements are absolute belters, but because he was stone deaf when he wrote it! Stone deaf for heaven's sake! He changed the format of the traditional symphony to create a contrast between the 3rd and 4th movements in the hope that he might hear the difference. On the premier he insisted on conducting from stage left in addition to the actual conductor and, when the piece was finished, he was still conducting and had to be forcibly turned around to see the standing ovation. He never heard a note of his Magnum Opus. Tortured genius anyone?

The most emotional for me has to be Elgar's Cello Concerto, written as his response to the Great War, he could hear the artillery on the Western Front from his cottage in Sussex.

Although he wrote the piece reluctantly claiming that his 'heart wasn't in it'!

11. As I'm to be squiring a couple of LPO (London Philharmonic Orchestra not the Lubs Petrol & Oils military brains would suppose) types on Thursday, could I chip in and ask for as played by ?

The orchestra and conductor make it really spark. Ahem, so I'm told and no because LPO gave me a cd of their LOTR stuff that has not influenced my post whatsoever.