1800 vehicles to be left behind

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by Grumblegrunt, Sep 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

several of the papers/newsites have picked up on a plan to leave it all behind for the ana as its too expensive to bring home.

is it? or maybe just another excuse as we will probably be running for the last tristar as the taliban mortars are pasting the runway!

2. Much of the kit seems to be so shagged its probably not worth bringing home.

I was picking over a batch of Snatch landies the other month. They were fresh back from a sandy place and mechanically they were dead! They had taken a real beating and most were sporting bust half shafts, props shafts missing, smashed diff pans etc.

I am guessing most of the long term vehicles will be in a similer condition.

• Like Like x 1
  3. At least we aren't chucking them off the side of the ships on the way home like the end of every other adventure in foriegn lands we have.

Thinking about it, chucking mastiffs out the back of a C17 at 30,000 feet over would be a giggle.

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

The ANA don't want them - it's not possible for them to maintain what they've got, let alone a massively mixed fleet. If we gifted them to the ANSF, we'd have to give them a huge dowry to enable them to keep them running.

It's not economically sensible to bring them back ,and they're **** all se anywhere else anyway, so best to do is probably blow them up.

5. Il take a Mastiff if they are going..

Only for the ease of parking..:plotting:

6. Where have i seen something like that before.....

Object_Graveyards_06b.jpg

I love history repeating itself.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Not for the bloody driver! :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Withams are flogging off the Snatch fleet now at £1500 a pop. After they take their whack on the sale I doubt MOD are getting back the cost of returning them from Iraq - Ditto ex BATUS vehicles being sold off for similarly small sums of money.

What really annoys me is that they have 20 Tithonus vehicles. Its only about 10 minutes since they were refurbished "mid-life".

Armoured Landrovers, MOD Sales, Military Vehicles & Ex MOD Land Rovers for Sale

Land Rover , Tithonus 110 Defender Hard Top RHD & LHD, #35402 - MOD Sales, Military Vehicles & Ex MOD Land Rovers for Sale

9. I heard Witham's paid £1700 for one of ours with a blown engine, which would have been an easy fix for them. Then sell for £5500, nice mark up!!

10. Hmmm...perhaps the MoD will scoop some of the pot allocated for "International Development" and although they may be "gifted" there could be a significant payment (at least rejigging of internal finances).

At least that is a possible outcome that someone mentioned to me.

That said, it sounds far too sensible for the MoD.

11. £8k to ship each container...somewhere in region of 7000 containers worth of stuff, plus 500+ vehs & CES...its going to be a big job!

12. Grumblegrunt

sell em to india, their labour is cheap enough. didnt that massive soviet vehicle dump blow up?

13. Grumblegrunt

how many do think they can fit in that empty carrier we will have floating about around about then? it would be a cheaper way to ship them.

14. Moving them on the ship is the cheap and easy bit. It is getting them from Helmand through Pakistan that is the challenge. Once they get to the seaside, no drama.

15. As long as we do it whilst flying over Paris ................or maybe Cardiff.