• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

18 (uksf) sigs regt selection

#1
can anyone help iv applied to try sf signaller on a breifing course in feb. Any one had any dealings with this any tips advice would be great. Im in royal engineers and getting alot of help as you can imagine cheers.
 
#3
yes been told that after someone that has attempted course and knows anything about it
 
T

the_mentalist

Guest
#4
Well young man, you want to go for this job, so it is up to you to do your homework! If you don't know anything about the course, then ask yourself, is it really the course for me?

And another thing, sort out your grammar, punctuation and spelling. You write like an infant!
 
#5
Have you tried asking them for more information? I'm sure they'd be more interested in people who try to research the role and get clued up before they get there. Phone the training wing at the unit?
 
#6
As Cow said contact 18SF Regt Training wing they produce an advice booklet for applicants explaining the selection procedure and what pre training both trade, Map reading and Phys are required. I'm assuming you are in a Sigs related trade as they do a trade test of your knowledge prior to joining the course.

Some good advice is to brush up on the tech skills, Typing, CLAIT and try to get an ECDL qual all will help if you are trying for an Operators post, along with a good knowledge of AE theory, VP etc.

Good luck!

Merlin
 
#7
the_mentalist don't take it the wrong way, but a hell of alot of people have being on here asking exactly the same thing because the office does not give all of the knowledge required, plus it's better to get first hand advice off of people that have previously tried. I'm not trying to cause an argument but this is purely a forum, there is no need to type as formally as it goes.....
 
#8
Typing and Logging are things your assessed(Spelling?) on, more practice the better, keep it neat and proper now, less dramas later.
 
T

the_mentalist

Guest
#10
AndreBrumSlum said:
I'm not trying to cause an argument but this is purely a forum, there is no need to type as formally as it goes.....
merlin162 said:
Some good advice is to brush up on the tech skills, Typing, CLAIT and try to get an ECDL qual all will help if you are trying for an Operators post, along with a good knowledge of AE theory, VP etc.
ABS, you are of course correct, it is only a forum, however, as merlin162 points out above, you need to have some standard of intellect to even be considered for the job, let alone pass the selection!

It is good forum etiquette not to use sentences typed like a text message, and punctuation helps the reader to understand what the author is trying to articulate. The standard of English on some of these threads is unreadable, and for someone who considers himself worthy of attempting to do a job which requires the soldier to be articulate, intelligent and a bloody good squaddy is frankly embarrassing.
 
#11
T_M I totaly argree however his message was not really in text format.. anybody who is anybody can understand it at a first glance. All that was missing was a bit of grammer, if he had words written like "dnt tlk 2 me like tht" then I'd point it out too, all he asked for was a bit of help.. and tbf theres nobody really judging him on here to be an Operator, I'm sure if he were writing where it matters he would use perfect grammer, so merlins post doesn't really apply.

ABS
 
#12
AndreBrumSlum said:
so merlins post doesn't really apply.ABS
Sorry, I'm missing something here, Merlins post was about skills/qualifications that may help in passing the SFC trade test and subsequent trade tests. They more than apply as they're on the Info that is handed out by the Training wing at 18 Sigs.
 
T

the_mentalist

Guest
#14
AndreBrumSlum said:
T_M I totaly argree however his message was not really in text format.. anybody who is anybody can understand it at a first glance. All that was missing was a bit of grammer, if he had words written like "dnt tlk 2 me like tht" then I'd point it out too, all he asked for was a bit of help.. and tbf theres nobody really judging him on here to be an Operator, I'm sure if he were writing where it matters he would use perfect grammer, so merlins post doesn't really apply.

ABS
Ok, you win, I will not pick anyone else up on this thread for GRAMMAR!!!
 
T

the_mentalist

Guest
#15
ABS, you are not even in the Army yet, so please explain how you are qualified to comment on 18 (UKSF) Sigs Regt Selection. Do you even know what it is?

You have seen a thread in this forum with selection in the heading and clearly thought it is more wanna be squaddies asking bone questions about press up's and 1.5 mile run times.

Get a life, and when you get in the Army and you have actually done a few years, then you can maybe post comments on threads that you clearly, at this stage, know nothing about!!!

:x :x :x
 
#16
I did not comment on 18 sf sigs, I commented on you analysing everything people say, instead of doing that how about you actually gave him some info? or if that's passed you, maybe don't comment at all? you don't have to be in the Army to defend people my friend.. anyway I said I wasn't argueing so don't get all defensive pal. The only times I actually ever see you post is in response to an argument and it's really starting to annoy. Why should I need a few years in the Army to stick up for somebody? And as I recall, you weren't in anything to do with 18 (UKSF) Sigs either, so ditto for you, don't comment. I did not comment on the 18 (UKSF) Sigs topic, I purely defended him, because you did nothing for him except tell him to bloody spell right.

I really would appreciate it if this stopped now, as I said in my first post I didn't want an argument, I only asked that you would stop critising somebody about spelling on a bloody forum.


ABS
 
#17
I don't understand the problem here at all, this bloke has just come on here for a bit of a heads up on a course he will soon be attending.
Instead of advice Mentalist has ripped him to bits over his grammer, and suggested that poor grammer also makes him a bad soldier!!

I know nothing about 18 sigs selection, therefore i've not posted giving him any advice. Why anyone would want to post a reply just to give him a hard time on his spelling and grammer (which isn't that bad) is beyond me.

He's not a walt, he just wants some idea. It appears to me that because its a UKSF related thread you always seem to get some chopper on here who is quick to start gobbing off at the bloke asking for the advice, slagging him off. And usually, said chopper knows nothing about the subject in question, which I imagine is the case here.

Smiler, I hope someone with some knowledge of the course gives you a heads up, and best of luck.
 
T

the_mentalist

Guest
#18
nelson said:
I don't understand the problem here at all, this bloke has just come on here for a bit of a heads up on a course he will soon be attending.
Instead of advice Mentalist has ripped him to bits over his grammer, and suggested that poor grammer also makes him a bad soldier!!

I know nothing about 18 sigs selection, therefore i've not posted giving him any advice. Why anyone would want to post a reply just to give him a hard time on his spelling and grammer (which isn't that bad) is beyond me.

He's not a walt, he just wants some idea. It appears to me that because its a UKSF related thread you always seem to get some chopper on here who is quick to start gobbing off at the bloke asking for the advice, slagging him off. And usually, said chopper knows nothing about the subject in question, which I imagine is the case here.

Smiler, I hope someone with some knowledge of the course gives you a heads up, and best of luck.
Anyone who is inclined to do, or has done any kind of SF selection would not use this medium to communicate to the whole world. As I mentioned in my first comment, do your homework (but not on here!).
 
Z

Zarathustra

Guest
#19
Have you tried looking on army net? I was looking for info on it earlier in the year and i'm pretty sure i found some info, not much but an outline of the course etc .

That might give you a bit more info
 
T

the_mentalist

Guest
#20
AndreBrumSlum said:
I did not comment on 18 sf sigs, I commented on you analysing everything people say, instead of doing that how about you actually gave him some info? or if that's passed you, maybe don't comment at all? you don't have to be in the Army to defend people my friend.. anyway I said I wasn't argueing so don't get all defensive pal. The only times I actually ever see you post is in response to an argument and it's really starting to annoy. Why should I need a few years in the Army to stick up for somebody? And as I recall, you weren't in anything to do with 18 (UKSF) Sigs either, so ditto for you, don't comment. I did not comment on the 18 (UKSF) Sigs topic, I purely defended him, because you did nothing for him except tell him to bloody spell right.

I really would appreciate it if this stopped now, as I said in my first post I didn't want an argument, I only asked that you would stop critising somebody about spelling on a bloody forum.


ABS
Check your PM's
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top