18 U.S. veterans commit suicide every day!!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by I/I/LG, May 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am honestly shocked that the rate is so much higher in veterans than civvies.

I hope something is done to help these people.

2. The oft quoted statistic is that more Falkland vets have committed suicide than were killed in that particular conflict. One of the problems with this kind of statistic is that it isn't easy to tell why people commit suicide in many cases (unless they've left a note detailing why), for the obvious reason that they aren't around to ask.

Whilst there may well be a correlation with military service and suicide it often isn't that clear individually and there needs to be a certain amount of caution about sweeping statements in this area.

That's not to say it isn't a problem, it clearly is in the US with the likelihood being 350-700% higher amongst their veterans (and here also), but there would still have been a background level occurring even without previous service.

A lot of work is going on in the NHS about Suicide Reduction strategies and it's very challenging as it isn't that easy to prevent. Most people who commit suicide aren't known to mental health services at all.

3. I've had a few mates commit suicide and truthfully, I would have never have said they were the type. one of them I spoke to less than four hours before he stuck a pipe through his window from his exhaust pipe - he had a very young baby. This haunts me now, even 18 years later.

What I'm trying to say, is that it's not always so easy to spot. God I wish it was.

4. i just find 18 per day a staggering number.... that is 540 dead soldiers per month!

5. It is a big number but you have to remember that the US had the Draft for Vietnam so proportionally they have a much higher ratio of combat veterans to the UK. Many of the people who went are starting to enter, in age terms, one of the known higher risk groups for suicide.

I would be interested to see or know of any research that has compared suicide rates amongst those who were drafted with those who were not. It may not be an issue at all, but it's a possibility that it is.

6. I joined the Army 76 left 98, I then joined the Cops. I was not Army Barmy but by God I missed the life, missed it more than I ever thought I would. I found it difficult to settle and still do.
    Five years after joining the Cops I was hit by a Chav, he had a lump hammer, my left arm was very badly broken, I have metal plates and pins my arm is now knackered.
    Not long after my Marriage went t*ts up, it was fault, we lingered together, I booked a holiday to Hungary, we were going on the Saturday morning. On the Thurs I went to B&Q, bought a padlock we had just been burgled. I also bought two lenghs of hose as an after thought. I drove to Rishworth Moor, put the hose to the exhaust, taped up the window switched on the engine.
    I was lucky a passing HGV driver opened the door of the car, I was semi concious, I drove off didn't even thank him that was five years ago.
    Everything had got on top of me, I was depressed and I didn't even realise it. That morning suicide wasn't in my head, even going in B*Q and buying a padlock suicide wasn't in my head.
    I'm OK now got through it, I'm divorced, life is not great but its OK,
    I know lads who did kill themselves good lads, some were hard men.
    Dont know what the answer is, but if your depressed, or someone thinks your personility has changed drastically for the worse, GET HELP, its not macho to keep quiet, talk to someone

7. Cracking post :(

8. Glad you pulled through mate!

completely agree with the last sentence

9. Baldex,
    Thanks for your frankness. Despite your difficulties, you seem to have found the right way to proceed even though things are not as you would like them to be. Good luck and best wishes. :D

10. I was talking to a mate of mine just before I moved to Canada, I asked him did he want to move here as well. He said: "You don't know how good that sounds right now". That evening he hung himself in the garage. No note, no reason given to anyone. His parents obviously were devastated and I'm sure they must wonder, as do I, why didn't he say something before taking his life. Why didn't I press him further on why it sounded so good. One of us could have surely helped him get over it.

Tragic.

As posters have said above. Talk to someone.