18 Firefighters killed in wildfire.

Discussion in 'US' started by target_stop, Jul 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 2
  1. Makes a boring post about a gun bolt assembly seem like crap. Unlucky buggers. :blank:

2. reports I have seen say 19 are dead.

Very hot in the southwest now, temp today was 100F 38C.

Prescott population is about 40,000 so that could be a decent percentage of the entire fire department.

The servers for the fire department are down.

One firefighters website seems to be updating the information.

Fire Fighter Close Calls.com

RIP for the firefighters, sympathy to family and the entire town

3. One of the saddest books I have ever read was 'Young men and fire' by Norman Maclean (He also wrote a 'River runs through it'.)
    It recounts the deaths of 13 Firejumpers in a 1949 brush fire in Montana. Very moving.
    Comisserations to all.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RIP to families of a lot of brave men.

5. 'Young Men and Fire' came to mind immediately I read the story - as you say, an incredibly moving book.

6. RIP Brave Firefighters

May our kind thoughts and condolences be felt the thousands of miles away in Arizona - from the Wedderburn Rural Fire Brigade, Sydney Australia.

When I heard the news, I quickly worked out that we have around 20 active volunteers in our brigade, how devestating it would be even to lose one member ..... 18 is so tragic.

One of my colleagues passed this on .....

FIREFIGHTERS PRAYER

When I am called to duty, God wherever flames may rage, Give me the strength to save some life whatever be its age.

Help me embrace a little child before its too late, or save some older person from the horror of that fate.

Enable me to be alert and hear the weakest shout, and quickly and efficiently put the fire out.

I want to fill my calling and to give the best the best in me, to guard my neighbour and protect his property.

And if according to my fate, I have to lose my life, please bless with your protecting hand my children and my wife.

AUTHOR UNKNOWN

We hear that the conditions in Arizone are horrendous. Having had a few close calls at wild fires over the years, I know soometimes it can be only a split second between life and death. I'm sure there will be an investigation and perhaps the lessons learnt may save some lives in the future.

God Bless the firefighters, their colleagues, friends and family.

Smith

Last Alarm.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Just seen it on the news now, thats a hell of a lot of people to lose in a oner and a terrible thing to happen.

Unfortunately I can imagine some hollywood producer sitting there thinking about film rights already.

• Like Like x 1
  8. There was a film a few years ago about a smoke jumper.

I met and jumped with some US smoke jumpers and a SAR jumper from Iceland. I would rather face an ambush than jump into a forest on fire. They told me that the heat can reach nearly 1000 degree's, tree's cook off like IED's exploding all around, then if it all falls to shit they dig a hole, piss in it, pour water in it and on themselves, climb in, cover themselves with a fireproof blanket and wait for the fire to pass over them............and hope that either the water bombers are accurate in dropping water on their location or that the fire passes quickly so that they are not slow cooked or suffocated. And, most of these guys are unpaid volunteers.

My highest respect, my most sincere and heartfelt condolences.

9. Seconded, that's a big blow to a small town.

• Like Like x 1