18 Battery 32 Regt Feb 24 1991

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by easymoney, Feb 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any 18 bty remember what you were doing this day 15 years ago, gun bunnies will BAAAABAAABOOOOOOOM NO 4 ROUNDS COMPLETE

2. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

Official reports still have 74 Battery (The Battleaxe Company) firing those rounds first. When i say official i mean the Commanding Officers signal back to the rear party in Dortmund. This fact has been muddied in the water slightly over the years. P

3. Sorry but wrong.
    A-Sub 18 Bty first to fire,fire plan done so most senior gun could fire seconds before rest of Regt.
    regards

4. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

Hmm, i am still not in complete agreement about this. :wink:

5. Defintely a day (or night) to remember. Regards to all who were there.

6. Must agree, A sub 18 Bty fired first, RSM and CO were both near his platform, however gun 4 had RSM's camera,must have been something to do with 5 Regt or suchlike. Still bloody good memories, bloody good blokes to work with,cheers.

Patrick tear that Frenchie rag down and put up a real colour

7. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

I will set the record straight here.

I recced those gun platforms. The first rounds fired were on the arty raid on the 19th (I think it was) with another raid on the 21st. I especially remember that one as it was my 24th birthday!

On the 24th it may well have been an 18 Bty gun that fired first, but the first round of the war was fired by Sgt B of K BTY.

The story behind it is that the GPO of 18 Bty's first troop didn't know that L hour on the fire plan proforma was the same as H hour. L hour passed, the GPO was invited to get his heels together in the CO's in tray and Col M remarked upon his questionable parentage and drew a comparison between him and various bits of female genitalia. The upshot was that Sgt B got the bit between his teeth (we love those horsey expressions in 5th you know?) and fired the first round.

This is verbatim. 'I was there' as Max Boyce would say. As for gun 4 having the RSM's camera, I would say this was extremely likely as the RSM had only just taken post from K Bty.

8. Sheldrake I believe you to be right."Anyone else want to pull this lanyard and kill something".

10. Sorry m8, not quite true. I was working in the FDC that day and it was 74 that misunderstood the FP. I well remember a rover approaching from 74 with, I think, Brummy Young in it, incurring the wrath of the CO and legging it back to their Lines to sort it out...A sub, 18 fired first round, as I remember, No1 was Russ M****h I think

11. You speak the truth ScouseT32-18 Bty did fire first regardless of 'myths' that are cropping up stating otherwise!
    A-Sub-Gun No 1 was Sgt Dave M**n..and not Crusty the Clown! :lol:
    There is no official report or otherwise of 74 Bty firing first---EOM.

12. I remember sitting on the back of a drops watching the ripple firing of mlrs fooking awsome sight , best firework display in the world ever pt1