17yo dual national - officer in British Army or Canadian Forces?

Hi I have dual UK/Canada nationality. Born and brought up in the UK and was an Air Force cadet for 2 years and then in Army wing of CCF, which I really enjoy, but long term I think I may see my future in Canada as I am attracted to the space and lifestyle. I am considering a military career and university options at the moment so I need to make some decisions. What are the pros and cons of a career in the British Army vs Canadian Forces? I’m thinking of the overall experience, opportunities for deployment, pay and prospects etc. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi I have dual UK/Canada nationality. Born and brought up in the UK and was an Air Force cadet for 2 years and then in Army wing of CCF, which I really enjoy, but long term I think I may see my future in Canada as I am attracted to the space and lifestyle. I am considering a military career and university options at the moment so I need to make some decisions. What are the pros and cons of a career in the British Army vs Canadian Forces? I’m thinking of the overall experience, opportunities for deployment, pay and prospects etc. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
I know both Canadians who've joined the British Forces, and Brits who've gone the other way. Assuming your talent is considered equal in both forces, the British military I larger, so opportunities for advancement should be better. However, in terms of experience. both are deployed internationally, whether in support of national, NATO, coalition or UN missions, so the chances are there for either. From what I've seen of them the Canucks are as well paid as British Forces. The issue with the Canadian Forces is the need to be English/French bi-lingual to a suitable level to advance, but I believe that language training is available.

I'd be making the choice based on longer-term lifestyle preferences.

Don't quote me on this as this anecdotal but according to people i know in the Canadian Armed Forces,chances of deployments much smaller. One guy I know served throught the Afghanistan period but has never deployed.

Thanks both, that’s useful. I will look into the language requirements as I hadn’t noted those. I would like to do as much travel as possible so lack of deployments would concern me...

When I was posted to my regiment, my troop leader was Canadian.
I once asked him why he joined the UK forces, and he replied that the British Army had a lot more to offer than the Canadian Forces.
He also said that being an officer in a British cavalry regiment gave him more bragging rights back home in Canadia land, and with him being moose ugly it also helped pull the girls.

Don't quote me on this as this anecdotal but according to people i know in the Canadian Armed Forces,chances of deployments much smaller. One guy I know served throught the Afghanistan period but has never deployed.

Initials BB?;)

If you desire a military career and a university degree you might want to consider submitting an application to the Royal Military College of Canada as you are the right age at the moment. If accepted you can receive a government paid degree, and a commission as well.

Having been in contact with both, I would recommend the British army for opportunities and chances of operational deployments. I underline I have zero problem with both forces and had very good relationship with the Canucks on several deployments.

The bullshit level would also concern me much; both armed forces have suffered from the assault of political correctness in the past decades but the Canadian forces seem to have taken it to some extremes

Latest Threads