17th Sept 1944

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Mighty_doh_nut, Sep 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In August 1944, General Bernard Montgomery proposed a daring Allied offensive of one powerful thrust through Holland, across the Rhine and into the German heartland. The plan, requiring many divisions and virtually all the logistic support available to the Allies in Europe, was not agreed to by General Eisenhower, the Supreme Allied Commander. In its place a smaller scale plan, but still a very ambitious one, was approved to secure a bridgehead across the Lower Rhine (Neder Rijn). Montgomery's 21st Army Group would attempt a narrow thrust to and beyond the Rhine, largely supported from its own resources.

The plan was to lay an "airborne carpet" along the 64-mile Eindhoven-Arnhem road along which the British 2nd Army (spearheaded by XXX Corps under Lieut-General B.G. Horrocks) would advance rapidly to reach the Arnhem road and rail bridges which gave passage across the last great natural barrier to the Reich, the Lower Rhine.

We all know the outcome.

Visiting the site seems feeble in comparison to the actions of the thousands of Brave men from 1st Airborne Division...... Everyone a hero and a better man than me.

A man worthy of a salute would have been my grandfather who would have been 89 on tuesday, thankfully he came home, and although I didn't know him well, I get choked with pride when I browse through his effects, escape maps and diary. He was promoted to Sgt in the field at Oosterbeek on his Birthday 1944 the day after he jumped into Op Market Garden. Sadly this is the first year in many I won't be able to pay my respects to the fallen, my best oppo is there and has been tasked with tipping his hat on my behalf.

Always in my thoughts Grandad, one emmensly proud grandson.... Go easy mate

2. good effort lads.
    sleep tight

3. Aye. It seems that we are unique as an Army, in that we celebrate "defeats" more than victories. The participants of Market Garden are heroes to a man. As are the Dutch civilians that provided succour to the soldiers.

4. done a battlefield tour of "market garden" & met an actual participant, very very sobering & a realisation brought home to you of what we all owe those men.

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Will be there tomorrow (Oosterbeek) to pay my respects to all those men who went through more than we will ever know or really understand.

I only wish I was half the man they were.

Respect.

6. My hat and my heart goes out to them truly heroes

7. [​IMG]

taken 6 days prior to Market garden

8. I stop in Oosterbeek on my way to Assen every year to pay my respects.

9. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Just been watching band of brothers logged on and saw this thread. I guess that through history the names and faces change as does the theatre of operations but the courage and camaraderie remain the same.

10. Last night i was at the Harskamp shooting range(near Ginkel Heath).
    had a couple of beers with the lads from 4 Para and laughed about those silly septic ******* who were there also(one got hit by a passing car),all to do the remembrance jump.
    Odd thing was the 4Para guys never heard about 49Para..... :? 8O

11. Bittrich's Aide: My General says that there is no point in continuing this fight and is willing to discuss terms of surrender.

Major Harry Carlyle: We haven't the proper facilities to take you all prisoner! Sorry!

Bittrich's Aide: What?

Major Harry Carlyle: We'd like to, but we can't accept your surrender! Was there anything else?

Looks like A Bridge Too Far will be on my playlist for tomorrow.

That, and a pint of best to honour them all with.

12. The sacrifice that was made by these gallant warriors is etched into the many truly grateful Dutch civilians that still mark this weekend many years later.

Some images from previous years veterans tandem jumps onto Ginkel Heath DZ.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gone but not forgotten.

13. You're right Harry. To this day we still know we owe you people big time.
    It seems the remembrances get more popular by the year.
    I did the Airborne March at Oosterbeek this year again and it seems to get busier every year.