17th Sept 1944

70 years ago today, better men than me jumped and glidered into Arnhem in an attempt to bring the war to a swifter end. We all know the outcome.

Glasses raised to those that fought like lions and made Market Garden the legend that will stick in many of our Regimental and Corps history for eternity.

Glasses raised to all round nails geezers, see you on the bridge slags.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Old chap in my village talking years ago was with 16 para field ambulance; in conversation felt they hadn't "done their best by the boys"; - silly sod.. Couldn't have done more with what they had. Legends all :salut:

The_Duke

LE
Any visitors there should take the time to look at some of the smaller memorials tucked away in gardens and on street corners. They really demonstrate the scale of the action and how close fought it all was.

Turn right from the Schoonord towards town and look into a front garden a few hundred metres down the road. It shows the site of the last stand by 10 PARA, from memory 600 all ranks jumped in, 26 other ranks (no officers) made it back across the Rhine at the end of the battle. Just one of many such memorials.

Having been to Arnhem many times and jumped in on a lot of those occasions at Ginkel Heath i am am gutted at not being there this year. At 50th and 60th now missing what will probably be the last big one. I will have a wee glass of malt tonight and think about all of those who landed there and those who never made it back. I would recommend visiting Arnhem to any serviceman or woman, airborne or not, to experience the atmosphere and listen to the incredible stories of bravery and brotherhood.

Ad Unum Omnes

Sadly couldn't make it over there. Will be raising a glass (several) to your Grandfather PG, and my Father who was at the Bridge until the end, also every other single brave soul that did what most of us could never have have done seventy years ago in Holland.
I have a Dutch friend who lives in Arnhem and has been filling me in on the preparations, it looks like they are really pushing the boat out this year.

I'm flying out in a few hours. Been asked to accompany the son of an officer with John Frost at the bridge. It's an honour. Spent the last couple of weeks re-reading some of the books to refresh my memory.

WC

Inspirational chaps and more than likely what forged their reputation for years to come. Even though the Op was unsuccessful I'd still class it as a victory of British spirit.

Went out once to Arnhem and it's an emotional experience.

Probably not the same emotions that every foreign force who have faced the British Airborne since. Fear never featured on my trip!

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
Will be cracking a couple of tins tonight after work. Market Garden has always been of interest to me ever since watching the training film " A Bridge Too Far". Even did my O level course work on it at school and got an A grade. Am planning on making a trip there in the near future to see it "in the flesh" so to speak. Like others have said before; nails blokes, legends all.

"My General has asked me to discuss terms of surrender"

"Sorry old boy, we couldn't possibly take all of you prisoner. We simply haven't the room. Was there anything else?"

Even though it's a film line from ABTF I can see it happening.

I visited the graves there with a dozen or so from our unit back in 1992. A very sobering experience. The bridge still bears scars from bullets and explosions to this day.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
"My General has asked me to discuss terms of surrender"

"Sorry old boy, we couldn't possibly take all of you prisoner. We simply haven't the room. Was there anything else?"

Even though it's a film line from ABTF I can see it happening.

Only matched by "Shortly after, a German Major asked to see Gough, understanding him to be the commander at the bridge. The officer said "I wish to congratulate you and your men. You are gallant soldiers. I fought at Stalingrad and it is obvious that you British have a great deal of experience in street fighting." To which Gough simply replied, "No. This was our first effort. We'll be much better next time."

http://www.pegasusarchive.org/arnhem/freddie_gough.htm

In remembrance of the Polish Airborne as well.
Polish-Airborne-and-Monty.jpg

Latest Threads