.17HMR Splitting Case Necks?

I got HPS to do it, they were closer (and had a brand-new chamber reamer, and our coach was the gunsmith)... they shot OK, it was just that on a warm day I found the bolt getting stiffer and stiffer until by the end of the kneeling practice (about 100 shots in) I was having to hit it to get it open. Mind you, this was 23 years ago.

But once reamed, the results were stunning. 10 shot groups at 50m that IIRC averaged 14mm, edge to edge, when tested at the Eley factory. And the wife's light barrel was even better - 13mm average.
What calibre?

HE117

LE
What calibre?
0.22RF... because I'm a small bore :)

Unfortunately, the accuracy on stainless smallbore barrels drops off after 10k rounds or so (a couple of years, if you're training seriously). So I had two great years when I felt I just couldn't miss, and got some decent results along the way... it saw me through to retirement from serious competition, that barrel.

These days it sits in the cabinet as a backup, while my selected barrel from Anschutz that was the backup, is now the duty gun. Maybe one day I'll get it rebarrelled (something from Lilja, maybe, or perhaps a Carl Walther progressive twist) and see what happens - but the limiting factor these days is my aging eyesight :(

Edited to add: these are ten-shot 0.22RF groups at 50m, fired from a test rig; unsurprisingly, I picked batch UFT3201:

Last edited:

HE117

LE
0.22RF... because I'm a small bore :)

Unfortunately, the accuracy on stainless smallbore barrels drops off after 10k rounds or so (a couple of years, if you're training seriously). So I had two great years when I felt I just couldn't miss, and got some decent results along the way... it saw me through to retirement from serious competition, that barrel.

These days it sits in the cabinet as a backup, while my selected barrel from Anschutz that was the backup, is now the duty gun. Maybe one day I'll get it rebarrelled (something from Lilja, maybe, or perhaps a Carl Walther progressive twist) and see what happens - but the limiting factor these days is my aging eyesight :(
... come and shoot my 15.4mm Dreyse! You know you want to!

... come and shoot my 15.4mm Dreyse! You know you want to!
Tempted. But since we got die Kartoffelnhund, beloved has been leaning towards "well, she is a gun dog...". And now that young Seonaid has joined our club, I've still got this vague "wonder if I could get back into 3P, learn from a World Champion?" at the back of my head...