.17HMR on a budget?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by labrat, May 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just had my variation back for a .17HMR to pop in the cabinet :eek:)

However, have not got a lot of spare money having just shelled out for the car insurance and easter hols with the kids :eek:(

any pointers towards a cheap but reliable .17?

cheers

2. The CZ is as good as anything on the market - superb barrels, triggers can be a bit stiff but they soon wear in.

3. You'll probably not find anything worth having cheaper than the CZ. Mossberg do one that's about £30-40 cheaper than the 452 American (~£300-320 on Guntrader) but I can't recall ever using one. Savage do one that's similarly priced to that CZ which is OK I think, albeit blessed with a really annoying mag release.

You probably won't find a T-Bolt for less than £400 beer tokens (Shooting Supplies in Bromsgrove has a used one for £375) and most of the decent rifles weigh in around £400 - Marlins, CZ Varmints etc.

4. Another vote for CZ. My CZ HMR has had thousands of rounds through it over the last five years with absolutely no problems.

5. Agreed. Start scouring all the ads, gunsmiths you can. There are deals out there. It's achievable to get a CZ American for £150. Try and choose one with shabby woodwork and titivate it yourself. Good luck.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Be very careful with the CZ, I am a massive fan but have had some horribly finished ones and sent one back. You could always try a savage, retailing at £350 brand new and a damned fine rifle. Most shops should carry them and they have changed importers from Garlands to Edgar Brothers but Garlands may still have some in stock. I bought one as a dealer for a client who changed his mind and dindt mind letting my son have it.

7. Don't be shy about asking to have a rummage through the stock at the gun shop - if the one in the rack has a sticky bolt or a graunchy trigger, have them unpack the other ones from the stock room till you find one you are happy with. If they don't want to do that then take your cash elsewhere.

I tend to buy rifles new, shotguns used. People have a way of horribly abusing the bore of their rifles. In a tiny calibre like the .17, just leaving oil in the bore and then firing it can cause rippling and produce some very interesting ballistic effects.

8. You won't beat a CZ at the price. Buy new and get a reliable gunsmith to make sure that barrel is fully free floated. The wood on mine hadn't been relieved sufficiently at the factory. Whilst looking it over, get him to adjust the trigger to a pull that suits you. As you probably know CZ actions are "stiff" out of the box, they ease off with use and light lubrication.
    Don't forget to budget for a moderator, scope and mounts.

B

9. Half of the problems with CZs tend to be iffy machining. I reckon that they tend to keep using machine tools for a bit too long after they need sharpening so you can find some fairly horrendous tooling marks on bolts and receivers. A friend of mine spotted this on one and took a gamble by asking for a discount and then very carefully lapped the offending parts smooth with very fine wet & dry. Took him a few hours but it afterwards it was the smoothest "new" 452 I'd ever handled.

On the subject of CZs has anyone tried the 455? Any opinions?

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

My thoughts and findings exactly but after having fired a savage in HMR I'm considering getting a few centrefires with the great accutrigger.
    That said I wont be selling my CZs.
    Oh as for the 455 I hope thats the model number and not the calibre (now wheres the icon for stoopidity?)

11. The 455 is supposed to be the successor to the 452, all the the thumbhole stocked Varmints seem to be this model but I'm not sure what the differences are beyond a set trigger.

Agree about the accutrigger by the way, had never used one until recently but found it every bit as good as claimed, unusually. Much better than the T-Bolt one.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

What I like best about the savage is that it takes no time nor manual reading to learn and get used to the trigger, its instinctive. I shoot many different rifles and no two triggers are the same but I'd wager the easiest to use is the Savage.

13. Thanks for the pointers guys - off to phoenix tomorrow to try and pick up a bargain :eek:)

14. Have you had a look at Rimfirecentral.com?

There were pictures of a very tasty thumbhole laminate Browning T-Bolt posted on there that was apparently a special edition made for some US gun show.

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Good luck at Phoenix, let us know how it goes/went etc. I have a rifle for sale on the classics table up there!
    I cant be there as I'm at Highclere Castle for a Game Fair.