.17HMR for fox?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by archer, Mar 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Advice please

Just varied my FAC and have been told by Kent Police that the new cert will be updated to include shooting fox using my .17HMR
    (Previous cert just approved fox shooting with 7.62. The .17 was only for vermin-ie rabbit)

With no experience of doing this what do people think?

Yes/No, what range?, head shot only?
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

More than adequate, just ensure they are within range! By the way I got the text, I'll check for dates in April if ok?
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

There's a good selection of .17 ammo on the market now, from ballistic tip, two varieties of hollow point, and of course FMJ.

Some of my customers are going for 'filled' hollow point these days for shooting wabbits because the ballistic tip and 'explosive' hollow point such as that offered by CCI does too much damage.

You might find that ballistic tip or 'explosive' does the job ok, but there's also rounds that will penetrate further and leave a tidier wound track.
  4. Cheers you two.

Thanks Ugly, yes please.
    I would like to be included on both dates as well if you can fix it.

Thanks Biped, You think FMJ would be a good idea? Keep in a spare mag incase Charlie appears when wabbiting?
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Changing bullets is what bods are doing with rabbits because the rabbits are getting unzipped, turned inside-out and then flung about the place with ballistic tip - totally ruining the meat.

I'm not absolutely certain of the FMJ point yet - you do want some expansion, such as that offered by standard hollow point, or at least, try it first and see how you get on. If it's great, try it with FMJ, but have an HP standing by next in the mag in case you have a problem.

Foxes being done with various types of .17 is still pretty new and I've not had much feedback.
  6. Ok, will pop down and buy some.
    Might be a while before there are any results though.

I shoot 2 sites, adjacent and separated by a hedge.

Different owners and one says shoot the fox the other says nay! Ho hum!!

Oh and on the unzip aspect, it's not happened to the 50 odd I've shot.

Chest shots only and with an in/out sometimes but always massive organ damage within the chest. (Max range shot taken has been 70 yards so maybe this damage occurs at longer ranges?)
    Some fragmentation of the bullet if the spine has been hit yes but major contamination of meat no.
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

That's interesting - what brand are you using? Much of my feedback on the damage is coming from people using the Federal Premium V-Shock 17 grain.

To test the waters, I'm now stocking CCI TNT 17 Grain 'Explosive', CCI FMJ 20 Grain and CCI Gamepoint 20 Grain Jacketed Soft-Point, as well as the Federal.

Feel free to come and try some out.

BTW: I've also got stocks of the RWS, Eely and Winchester Super X subsonic ammo in .22 as well as CCI High Velocity! :D
  8. The 20gn hollow points are a good compromise, can't find FMJ round here.

9. Remington Premier Magnum Rimfire
    17 GR Accutip-V Boat tail.

Took 2 yesterday- 70 and 55 paces

Both went down with no twitch.
    Chest shot, no sign of in or out wound but found both wounds on skinning.- just a small hole.

Are the exploding bunnies gut shot?

Perhaps if the contents are exposed then the "turned inside out" story
    would be based on fact?
  10. Over here we need at least 200 joules of energy at 100 metres for fox. I don't know if any of the newer .17 HMR loads give that. Anyone know?
  11. I use Federal .17HMR for rabbits - chest-shot, only the haunches and the last bit of the saddle are free of splinters. The plus is that they're so accurate you can take head shots at 120 yards with a bit of care.

I've used the same ammo to head-shoot foxes at similar range and they dropped without a twitch. It's not a round I'd choose for fox, but if that's the rifle in your hand when you see them...
  12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I've had 2 or 3 customers saying the same thing - all using Federal V-Shock as it happens.

One guy said that the innards of the rabbit were outside the skin when he went to collect it (about 1' away) - hence the 'turning inside out' comment, and another customer said something very similar. The third complained of massive internal damage to some of his rabbits.

It stands to reason that if you've got a nice clean head-shot or upper chest area, it's fairly unlikely it's going to cause the sort of damage we're talking about.
  13. Some people use the HMR because they're trading meat quality for a deficiency of marksmanship. Bunnies gut-shot with a .22 usually survive long enough to run off, with the HMR they don't, and a gut-shot is an easier shot.

Sounds like a shortcoming with the rifleman rather than the round.
  14. Couldn't have put it better!
  15. Care is required when buying ammo, Remmington and CCi both make soft nosed rounds with E100 of 269 Joules but CCI also sell the same round with E100 only 181 Joules. I've shot with .17HMR but since pigs can turn up here at any time it isn't practical for me. I always need to carry something that will pop big game satisfactorily. Foxes always look mildly surprised when hit by .375 H&H. Critique of the .17 HMR focusses on high barrel wear and the round is accused of being a bit windy.