.17HMR experience's

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by pull.it.in, Nov 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just granted my FAC with .17HMR on the ticket. Can anyone advise on a good .17hmr rifle. I am looking at a used rifle with mod. Any horror stories also welcomed. Regards.

2. I've got a CZ with mod and scope
    Tight groups at 100yards but fussy about ammo.- Remmington is excellent others give shotgun groupings
    Oh, and it punches through 2mm steel at 50 or so yards and at 90 still makes a dent that lets light through so think backstop

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I would heartily recommed the CZ 452 Varmint. That's the heavy barrelled rifle, although considering the small calibre, it's not too heavy hold in the aim at all.

Cracking little calibre, and if you're really good and the day is windless, you can knock a birdy over at 300m. On an average day with a little wind, 150m is the norm, and you'll turn a rabbit inside out at 100m with the ballistic tip ammo.

This rifle prefers the Federal B.T. to the Hornady I've found. Good foxing round out to 100m too.

No horror stories that I know of, though it is a little susceptible to wind due to the lightness of the round. You're looking at around the £460 mark for a brand new rifle with an extended 3 year warrantee (from me at least).

4. I've got the Anschutz one, it's a nice rifle, so is the CZ. The Anschutz likes Federal best.

5. What is the thumbhole version of this rifle like? I saw a couple at the Game Fair and was sorely tempted, having just chopped my .22 CZ in for a T-Bolt but nobody was being very forthcoming.

6. I've got a few T-bolt magazines if you want them, for a contribution to Hols.

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It's a little heavier than the standard stock and the whole package is quite short, but comfortable. Once you whack a decent mod on it like the new Edgar Brothers .17 specific one, it'll do very nicely indeed.

It so happens I have a new thumbhole one in stock, as well as a CZ 'Premium' with the set trigger, light stock and fluted barrel - only £650, but cosnderably less for the thumbhole variant, though I can't recall the price on that right now.

8. Thanks but I've got the synthetic version and twenty shots ready to go is enough. In hindsight the wood heavy barrel/varmint version has the better stock, I think the synthetic is too short in the forend but the extra (expensive) mag sold me.
    It's between the T-Bolt Varmint and the CZ for my new HMR although I think a straight-pull .17 might just be a bit expensive to feed, the .22 certainly rattles through the brass. Then there's the expense of getting the thing cut down to a sensible length - why Browning only do a 22in version is beyond me.

EDIT: In answer to the original question I'd agree with Biped, the normal Varmint 452 is a nice rifle and as ammo isn't cheap anyway you might as well let it be picky. The Sako Quad is also nice albeit much dearer (and the barrel change gimmick isn't much use to us in the UK).

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The issue with the Sako Quad is that it's expensive, and for the purposes of having two interchangable rimmy barrels for one action . . . . it's alright if you still don't mind having the thing fill two slots on your ticket and the fact that if you do actually change the barrels on a regular basis (because you can't make your bloody mind up), you're going to wear the barrel/action fitting.

10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I disagree. Headshots out to over 100m on wabbits is perfectly achievable. Admittedly, if you gut-shoot a rabbit with a BT you're likely to turn it inside out, but that's just bad shooting. Of course, the alternative is the CCI hollowtip or soft point .17HMR. Nicely effective without the explosive expansion.

11. I agree I was thinking of a just HMR set-up, the changeable barrel is a bit pointless and expensive - probably aimed at the US market.

Dogface - Headshots, the flat shooting characteristics of .17 make them eminently possible even for a mediocre shot such as myself and I've never yet met anyone who wanted to eat bunny-brains. Anyway at the ranges I'd choose it over .22 I've always found the "meat damage" argument a bit overblown.

12. Great fox munition if you intend to shoot foxes indoors, outdoors you might as well just leave it at home. If there's any wind, rain, grass or leaves in the flightpath, you'll miss the target. There are plenty of better calibres out between 5 and 6 mm, which are far more practical.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

As far as rimfires go they are very good, Savage is the one I'd recommend. a good rifle and well builkt and cheaper than the CZ. Edgar Brothers will be next years importer although Garlands still has a few left.
    Talking of left I bought one for a client in Left handed and he loves it. I have despatched the odd fox in a trap close up and destroyed some house bricks and beer bottles but thats about the level of my experience.
    One word of warning regarding CZ's. Now bear in mind I have about 5 of them and really rate them, I have seen/bought/handled 3 now that have quality isses. One had severe tooling scars inside the reciever which made working the bolt difficult. I bought one with a damaged bolt face and one where the stock split within 6 months.
    Edgar Brothers were less than helpful. The UK dealers couldnt do enough and I thank even those who didnt have to help for getting it shipped for me.
    Edgar brothers are a pain in the arse and dont do customer service.
    I imagine the QC issues were when they were ramping up production over the last 5 years but as their prices are almost Tikka level I'd expect better QC and Customer support!
    GMK treat their customers better.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

A considerable number. Er, for your information, and as already pointed out, I don't keep the brains. They're paunched and skinned before they go in the bag, and they're shot off a rest.

Why, can't you get a 2" group at 100m?

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Over here unlkess you are unliucky enough to live in East Anglia fields arent very big. Rabbits like hedgerows and arent warren users to the same extent. Therefore we have no prairie dog towns and 100 yards is a good distnce for .17 although a stretch for .22rf on head shots!