1771 travel claims

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by ScotsmanRicky, May 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Just had the JPA training all day yesterday wasnt too bad as there was only 3 powerpoint related suicides. One of the sections that I did pay attention for was the expenses and how to claim the 1771's for milage when using your own car to travel when there is no transport, which in being a member of the reserve forces does happen. We went through the package and at the end we were reminded that you can only use your own car and be able to claim a 1771 (not sure what the new form is called) if you have occasional buisness use as part of you insurance which is fine as it was to ensure you were covered up to £10million incase of an accident while you were driving.

    Driving home I had a thought, since you get your travel paid for while driving to and from the TA center (Home-to-Duty) which I drive to, how come I dont require occasional buisness use to do that yet if I was to drive to a different location and then submit a 1771/claim then it wouldnt get paid as I dont have the occasional buisness use on my insurance.

    I.e one of our blokes stays half way between Edinburgh and Glasgow and parades in Edinburgh and gets his home to duty paid for the distance from his home that he drives. Yet if he was to travel the same distance but parade in Glasgow and submit a 1771 for that one of journey he wouldnt be able to claim.

    The obvious answer is to get the occasional buisness insurance but you can onnly get it with fully comp (It wasnt till I was over 21 that I got fully comp as its fecking expensive) and costs an extra £20-30 depending on company but if you only do 1 1771 a year then it may not be worth it.

    copied to RHQ forum.
  2. msr

    msr LE

  3. My understanding is that the bit in bold above counts as a "commute" and therefore doesn't require additional insurance (most basic policies cover commuting to work).

    The bit in italics is "business use", as it is not your commute to your usual place of work / duty. Therefore it needs to be insured.

    Some companies include business use for no extra charge. I have it free now through NFU, and used to have it free from Direct Line (although that was a long time ago).

  4. Hmmm, interesting one.

    If you have a Civvy lob, then that must be your normal place of business, and, your normal commute.

    That would make the TAC a different location ?

    Completely different for me as I have to drive to around 4 different locations every year.

    Think I'll check my insurance :cry:
  5. Not sure. I thought "commute" meant your travel to your usual place(s) of work, i.e., you would have one usual place for each job.

    I don't know for sure if this is true; I also don't know how the TA being apparently casual labour affects this.

  6. Thanks for the responses, the causal labour aspect would be a bit of a grey area I suppose in the travel to 'work'.

    I may ask the admin staff in the unit next time I see them and see what they say. Though the cynic in me says that if I bring this up the bean counters at the MOD, especialy these days, would probably stop the home to duty if you dont have the buisness use.

  7. Direct Line still add it on for free.
  8. This is, on the face of it, rather confusing. The basic principle is however crystal clear - you must be insured to drive. Insurers break their cover down into categories and if you want to do business miles then you need business cover. The exact definition of business of course depends on the small print in your policy, but in my experience it boils down to getting paid to do a journey.

    So if the Army pays me mileage for a trip it's business use - just as if my civvy employer pays me mileage it's also business use. It's not aimed at ripping off the TA, it's aimed at anyone in employment in the UK who claims mileage from their employer. Indeed I first got business cover for trips I took for my civvy job.

    Recently the Army has caught up with the rest of the employers in the UK and started demanding proof of insurance before allowing soldiers to claim mileage. If you claim MMA without business insurance you are driving uninsured - and that is not down to the Army, it's down to your insurer.

    Personally I am not convinced that the Army has got it right in this case as I don't see how getting paid via mileage or via a Home-to-Duty payment makes a difference, after all you're still receiving money to undertake a journey.

    However, my opinion, that of the Army, and that of your PSAO are all utterly irrelevant - regardless of how loud they shout. The only, I repeat the only arbiter of whether or not you need business cover is your insurer. I would not undertake paid driving for an employer without business cover - which in the TA context is both Home-to-Duty and MMA. I would urge all of you to adopt the same attitude.

    Should the worst come to the worst and you find yourself in court for driving uninsured the judge will not give a damn what some JPA presentation says, he will only have ears for the chap from the insurance company telling him you're uninsured as you undertook a paid journey clearly outside the cover on your insurance certificate.
  9. Yep sort of the way I see it, the difference being if I was going on a course I would be being paid for the time I was travelling down to it (i.e. paid wage for driving), if I'm not claiming a wage while driving then a 1771 should be allowed.