.17 Remington

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by vampireuk, Jan 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would be much obliged if I could be pointed in the direction of finding some .17 Remington rifles to take a gander at. I've been searching around and I'm not coming up with much at the moment unfortunately.
  2. tried guntrader?
  3. Why do you want a Remington? The triggers are awful, for a start! and have as much class as a RCT christmas outing.

I've got a Weirauch and it is ace. Head shots on bunnies at 120 yards with 17 grain Remington ammo. Mate of mine has got an Anschutz which he doesn't use anymore though as he stopped doing the bunnies on the golf course and lost his shooting. That could be up for grabs.

Best thing to go with it is a supressor and a really, really good scope. At least 12x magnification and the best that money can buy. I use Meopta.

Farmer B
  4. Meopta are good scopes but not "The best that money can buy!"

I think our chap meant 17 Remington chambering rather than make of rifle. Agreed that Remington make horrible rifles.
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

You could do worse than a CZ. Cheap and better than the Remi IMHO.

Edited to add: MEOPTA?!???

Hardly the best, though quite good.

Try Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski, Zeiss for the best in Europe. Coming down the scale a bit you've got Meopta, Leupold, Nikon and then MUCH further down the chain you've got brands like Nikko Stirling (not bad) followed by Hawke (utter shoit) and SMK - the cheapest and most cheerful that money can buy.
  6. My Remingon rifle is very good, but it is 17 years old and maybe their standards have slipped. When I get my act together the rifle can group 5 shots in as little as 6 mm at 100 mtrs. The only change, I installed a Timney trigger.

Vampireuk a tip, buy the best rifle and scope you cannot afford. The first day on the range is not the time to realise, sh1t I should have bought the go faster version. I agree with Biped about the scopes, but they are not cheap, but one good scope should last a very long time.
  7. Don't buy a German Schmidt and Bender - buy the Hungarian build version, if you can find one! Bang up on quality but significantly cheaper.
  8. Yes, sorry for the lack of clarity there, the calibre, not the manufacturer.
  9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well spotted that man - but a bit of a moot point considering the poooond is now about .0000005% of the Euro (or something).

I nice PMII 5-25x56 that would have cost about £1300 6 months ago is at about £1850 at the moment.
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I just took delivery of a new Remington 700 in 7mm08, it has a new trigger unit which is a big improvement, not a Jewel, but I'm not thinking of replacing it at this point.
    Bought the barrel/action with a view to getting it tuned, but even out of the box its shooting one hole groups at 100mtr with factory 140gn hunting ammo....

Just bought a Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10 x 50 with the new Rapid Z reticule from UK too - saved 850 euros on the continental best price I could find... :D
  11. I'm happy with my Cz
  12. Have I upset someone?

Remington are shite and that's the end of it. In order to get it to something worthwhile, you have to change the trigger (Timney and Jewel work wonders on remmies) and then get the bolt and chamber worked. They tend not to hold the brass straight so that the bullet see-saws down the barrel. If you really want a good Remmy, change the barrel as well. So the only bit left is the stock and that's not difficult to change either. Complete and utter crap.

As for glass, if you go for top-of-the-range swarovski you have glass that is way beyond the range of the calibre. Most i've ever done is head shots at 120 yards and as you won't be shooting out to 300 with a .17hmr so it becomes too expensive.

Anyway, feckers, Meopta is in my book a top scope. I went for them over zeiss as they changed their range a few years ago and I sort of fell out with them. More binos than scopes - their rubber 10x40's were superb. The deciding factor was that the shop I was in - Minsterly ranges - had one on the shelf, it fitted and it worked. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, so to speak. Nothing against remington you understand but when you are paying out your hard earned you want the best that you can reasonably get and CZ make a better rifle. As do Anchutz and Weirauch.

Browning make good clothing, Beretta make great knives - well Loveless make them but it says Beretta on the blade.

As for deer, I take the big Reds here with a 6.5 x 55 swedish Tikka with meopta on top and I load my own ammo. Most are taken at less than 100 yards, some a bit longer. Meopta is plenty bright enough and my freezer is full. So it works for me.

Happy hunting to you all though!

Farmer B

PS - have we strayed a bit off topic?
  13. your misunderstanding the tread a tad.

Vamp is asking about the caliber .17 rem, not asking about a remington rifle chambered in .17HMR.

.17 remington.

.17 HMR.

re - remmie rifles, as with most things you get what you pay for, remmies were the 'cheap and cheerful' end of the market, I have had a few over the years, 700's and 788's ( i still have one of each, a 700 in 25/06 and a 788 in 22/250, both are customed to max, actions only original)
    but in todays world Howa's are just as good (plob a tad better IMHO) and even more cheerfully cheaper.