17 port & maritme regiment / 23 pioneer regiment

Discussion in 'RLC' started by kentman, Apr 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im thinking of joining 17 port & maritime regiment as a seaman the website is very good, what is the regiment like? postings? also im thinking of joining 23 pioneer regiment i have checked the army website and there is not alot of info about the unit i.e. jobs, postings and structure of the regiment can anyone give me some information please

2. 17 Port, 22 year posting with lots of Op tours but a brilliant posting (I'm going back in Sept...........).

23 Pioneer, about the same but with a few more posting options than 17.

3. In terms of postings you have selected the 2 trades in the RLC for whom a dominant career feature is the fact that they each have relatively limited options for posting and, less the plentiful operational tour opportunities that we are all eternally grateful for and upon which both 17 and 23 Regts embark on their own fair share of, you will likely spend a deal of your career in and around one place (ie, they each have a single major unit location). Personally, I think this is a good thing.

As for choice of trade; you would struggle to find a better illustration of Corps diversity. The Pioneer and the Seaman/Navigator are quite different beasts. Choose your poison; do you prefer the taste of mud or salt water?

Note also that these trades are both quite different in terms of activity/employment (obviously) but also of structure/organisation; you should be aware that the latter has the potential to affect career/promotional prospects (ie although they can/do/will change from time to time, each trade has its own unique hierarchical structure; these can differ greatly across the Corps and you should not assume that any structure will reflect the classic pyramid shape with equitable but naturally wasting promotional prospects). Your ACIO or similar should be able to advise you on this.

4. 17 P&m brilliant unit
    23 pioneer - why do you think you'd automatically get that unit as a pioneer? Pioneers have a lot more than one unit.
    Now that pioneer has taken on some of the Sup Spec roles they have a more postings and a larger role.
    As has just been mentioned the two roles are that different, you need to be looking at the trade rather than the location you think you might get.

5. I did not know that. Thanks.

Note to self: get with programme.

6. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

The norm (as far as I am aware) is to do your first tour as a Pioneer at 23 Regt and then branch out. After that, you can start branching out more as regards location/role.

By and large, you can still expect to have a fair amount of time in 23 Regt.

7. or on the gate at Rhein'd with the RSF :D .

8. Having served with both units, in terms of location 17 P&M wins hands down.

My 3 years spent with 24 PNR was an endless posting of non stop Tours/Exercises and generally, all work and no play. However, I enjoyed my time there and they have a great set of dedicated soldiers.

17 P&M is altogether very different, Southampton is just across the Solent and in terms of location has everything on its doorstep. A high profile Regiment in my opinion, and despite still often being know as 17 Sport & Pastime, they do work for a living and get hammered non stop for VIP visits.

Dont know if any of that info will help, but good luck on whatever path you choose.

9. I spend a few years at 17 as a Scaley onboard the now sadly deceased army landing craft - it was my best posting out of the lot! But I'm biased - we were hardly ever there (Cher ching for the extra pay) and we used to pay 30p for a bottle of Becks onboard!