17 hour flight and nothing to read yet.

anyone recommend a decent book for the rather long haul to the falklands. Im after something that you can pick up and get straight into, subject matter isnt really important as long as its easy to dive straight in so to speak and isnt sci-fi. many thanks

Neil Strauss - The Game

True story about becoming a pick up artist, really enjoyable read. Plus hours of fun trying to re-enact said methods on local bints in the bar.

Another vote for Wilbur Smith. Try the series with Taita in it ;)

Also am reading Empire: Wounds of Honour by Anthony Richies at the minute, very good.

Might I suggest the Troy series by Gemell, The Silver Bow will get you to at least Ascencion, and the thunder child will get you down to MPA. If you can avoid reading it during the intervening 6 months a combination of the last book (Fall of Kings? Damn this Altheimers) and some diazapam should see you safely back to Brize.

Financial Times guide to investing. Not too dry, and when are you going to read it otherwise? It could change your life!

ive been on amazon and read some reviews on mentioned titles, have to say picking up the brass and pull up a sanbag sound like a really good reads. Thank you for the advice and help.

mattrlc said:
ive been on amazon and read some reviews on mentioned titles, have to say picking up the brass and pull up a sanbag sound like a really good reads. Thank you for the advice and help.
Mattric, don't buy any Wilbur Smith books though, I've got them all, and can send you a few to keep you going until I get there! Start with The Courtneys, "When The Lion Feeds", and take it from there.

Sluggy x

This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson - An excellent sea yarn about Robert Fitzroy and Charles Darwin on the Beagle. Much of it is set in the South Atlantic and includes an earlier Falklands campaign.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0755302818/?tag=armrumser-21

To the Ends of the Earth by William Golding. A long sea voyage to the Southern Hemisphere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_the_Ends_of_the_Earth

Death on the Ice by Robert Ryan. Fictionalised account of Scott's expeditions to the Antarctic. Very good, quite fast-moving but not at the expense of detail, sympathetic characterisation including Captain Oates. (Ryan has also written a book about TE Lawrence that I haven't read yet)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/075534720X/?tag=armrumser-21

Oops....you might want something escapist... :wink:

Try The Terror by Dan Simmons. The doomed Franklin North West Passage expedition....with a vicious Arctic monster stalking the crew. Can't get much further North than this! Really good as well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0316017442/?tag=armrumser-20

You could pick up some of George Macdonald Frasers other novels.

The Pyrates,The Candlemass Road, Mr American and of course The lights on at the signpost.
His nonfiction is great, his fiction is funny both are well researched and seldom matched.

I never thought I would disagree with the slugbabe

But it's the Taita books you need to read when it comes to Wilbur Smith

Failing that, anything by terry Pratchett, Dean Koontz or Richard Laymon

Some of those mentioned would never fill 17 hours unless you read really slowly.

Try any Neal Stephenson book except Cryptonomicum. That'll last 17 hours and keep you awake into the bargain.

jarrod248 said:
The_Snail said:
mattrlc said:
Mattric, don't buy any Wilbur Smith books though, I've got them all, and can send you a few to keep you going until I get there! Start with The Courtneys, "When The Lion Feeds", and take it from there.

Sluggy x
Another fan, I have them all too. I have to say the last one was not as good as normal, think the new wife is distracting him.
Assegai or The Quest? I've not read either yet, I'm saving them for my 17 hour journey!

Oh, I've just read The Bourne Sanction as well, I couldn't really get into it, but can pass it on if anyone wants.

I've got the new Maeve Binchy too. I'm saving that for a rainy Sunday afternoon when I am not rescuing dogs :wink: