16th Airborne????? WTF!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by labrat, Feb 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://adamboulton.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/02/turning-america.html#comments

Our esteemed PM once again showed his lack of grasp (or is it lack of interest?) in matters military when he referred to 16 Air Assault Brigade, which includes some of Britain's most elite fighting forces, as "16th Airborne" during PMQs today.

He also managed to avoid answering Tory claims that the Brigade is being sent to Afghanistan 600 troops short.

Military units of whichever size and whichever service get terribly upset when we get their titles wrong, and "16th Airborne" is definitely American: Make of that what you will!

Fecking useless Tosser - In the name of God, Go!

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Ignore, I should read the whole post :D

3. He's handed all military planning over to the Yanks, why not the rest of the Army?

Is it just me, or has anyone else started to feel very old and very tired over the course of this chump's term?

4. FFS dont say were going to have to add another Brigade badge on our Combats now :wink:

5. When I was a proud member of the 16th East Anglian Perpendicular Militia, DCOS spent most of his time writing angry letters reminding us to refer to our own brigade as 16 Air Asslt and not AA as this stood for anti-aircraft.

Whilst the incumbent Bde Comd was about as anti aircraft as you could get (apart from the fat ones you can jump out of).

6. Oh dear. Even when fed the lines, our wonderful PM can't be bothered to get it right. Question he was asked was quite clear and included the phrase "16 Air Assault". All he could do was refer in a mock-matey way to "the 16th Airborne".

Lots of political spin at work. A no doubt diligent Telegraph politico type published a story today telling us "All three regular battalions of the Paras will take over from existing infantry in the southern province of Helmand in April". Full thing http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/06/nafghan106.xml By the time her sub editors have done their on-line stuff, it reads "In the biggest deployment since the Second World War, hundreds of paratroopers will go into action against the Taliban"

Not even the MOD could get it that mangled, so it's back to the book of hyperbole for the Downing Street spokesman. Facts are expendable.

Be interesting to see if the Number 10 website straightens out the PMQ error when they issue the transcript. What actually happened can be seen on line at http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page14480.asp and sometime tomorrow, they'll put the transcript up on the same page.

Must be rather galling for the MOD press office, which has gone to such trouble today to publish a commendably detailed list of the units that are going as part of the changeover in April, pointedly listing two regular Parachute Regiment battalions.

But let's not detain Gordy any longer. He's busy bugging his backbenchers. Or maybe that too is a mis-spelling.

7. No, it's not just you. :( :x

Suicide Bomber's with suitcase nukes are like taxis; you can never find one when you really, REALLY want one... :evil:

I know it would be a terrible thing to happen...but the thought of Osama sending Broon a Valintine's present of Instant Sunshine is only just behind Gemma Aitkinson Tied to a Bed in my list of All Time Favourite Fantasies! :twisted: :blowkiss:

Guaranteed to put a smile on my face on a rainy day! :D

8. '....16th Airborne...' :D Tee Hee!!!

9. Steady on, Carrots, I was already old and tired halfway through the term of the previous chump. Much more of Broon and I shall mummify completely.

Speaking of mummies ... 3 Cdo Bde anybody?

10. Is it an Airborne Task Force??

11. Does it really matter that he got the name wrong? I don't think so.

Let me explain. If I thought he was actually sincere in supporting the troops and giving them everything they need (would like) to carry out the difficult tasks he was commiting them to; well, "what's in a name?"

However, I think GB treats the forces with contempt and this is what I think sticks in peoples craw. The name mallarky is just a simple blunder that I doubt most people would care about if GB seemed to give a s**t about the troops.

12. It's not just (or so much) that he got the name wrong. It's that he was using it to imply some sort of great understanding and empathy with the Services. And his blunder wasn't a slip of the tongue; it is what happens when something he's never cared about before seems to be the way of showing mastery of his brief. Politics is the art of opportunistic manipulation and successful politicians are those who can cover the extent of the manipulation. Rather like his discussion of troop levels in Iraq, it's not his area. And he couldn't care less.