• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

16th air assault

Been reading Soldier magazine and noticed that an Int Corps SSGT serves in a maroon beret. Do many Int Corps people serve in the 16th air assault brigade?

b_ollo_cks said:
Been reading Soldier magazine and noticed that an Int Corps SSGT serves in a maroon beret. Do many Int Corps people serve in the 16th air assault brigade?
A similar amount as found in every other regular brigade.

b_ollo_cks said:
Is that the same as 16 Air Assualt Brigade?

And as it stands, I don't think there are any Corps SSgt's in 16 AAB.

However, many units now allow airborne/commando/SF trained personnel to wear their posh lid whether
the Unit itself is 'special' or not. So your man may not actually be with 16 AA.

PoisonDwarf said:
eye_spy said:
Surely it has a Brigade HQ Int & Sy Section
doesn't mean it necessarily has a staffy. think it used to be WO2, Sgt, few juniors, working for SO3 G2 (not sure there was even an OC, might have depended which Bde). but i suspect that has all changed now, and they might have multiplied in size with FAS etc...

Only lots....

Well, check my profile / extra info....

"Chairman, The Society of Pedants (formerly The Pedants' Society; formerly The Pedant's Society; formerly The Pedants Society)"

CRmeansCeilingReached said:
PoisonDwarf said:
eye_spy said:
doesn't mean it necessarily has a staffy. think it used to be WO2, Sgt, few juniors, working for SO3 G2 (not sure there was even an OC, might have depended which Bde). but i suspect that has all changed now, and they might have multiplied in size with FAS etc...
The Unit was (and as far as I know is) 89 MI Sect, though it has probably have changed and gone all American like all the other MI Sections are...

http://www.army.mod.uk/intelligencecorps/the_corps/history_og_the_intelligence_corps.htm

In regards to the SSgt at 89 - if you can obtain the original article you will know why he was in Soldier Mag - quite an acheivement. He has now been posted and will no doubt have retired the beret - he wasn’t to keen on wearing it, unlike some who were regularly clocked giving it the big one at Bn/Coy Concentrations - you know who you are. Additionally IMO he is a good egg - bit barking but most of us are.... wibble.

The section (89) will as you point out probably increase due to FAS not 100% on the current manning there but know there is a WO2 - a not sure that the current incumbent is the ideal choice........ a handful of Sgts, Full screws and plenty of lance jacks.

Out.

Green_Machine said:
CRmeansCeilingReached said:
PoisonDwarf said:
eye_spy said:
The Unit was (and as far as I know is) 89 MI Sect, though it has probably have changed and gone all American like all the other MI Sections are...

http://www.army.mod.uk/intelligencecorps/the_corps/history_og_the_intelligence_corps.htm

In regards to the SSgt at 89 - if you can obtain the original article you will know why he was in Soldier Mag - quite an acheivement. He has now been posted and will no doubt have retired the beret - he wasn’t to keen on wearing it, unlike some who were regularly clocked giving it the big one at Bn/Coy Concentrations - you know who you are. Additionally IMO he is a good egg - bit barking but most of us are.... wibble.

The section (89) will as you point out probably increase due to FAS not 100% on the current manning there but know there is a WO2 - a not sure that the current incumbent is the ideal choice........ a handful of Sgts, Full screws and plenty of lance jacks.

Out.
Quite right, wide boys cutting around with there Maroon Berets and wings......... wait no thats right just beret's man.... just berets :x

I feel i have to jump in and defend 89 here. Only one person has given it big licks at a Bn/Coy conc and he has been told to wind his neck in, i think you will find that the rest of you ignorant ******* just take one look at the maroon machine and just ignore the section, many times at coy/bn organised activities 89 have just had to stand around on their own.

The staffy in question also loved wearing his maroon machine.

int_gimp said:
I feel i have to jump in and defend 89 here. Only one person has given it big licks at a Bn/Coy conc and he has been told to wind his neck in, i think you will find that the rest of you ignorant ******* just take one look at the maroon machine and just ignore the section, many times at coy/bn organised activities 89 have just had to stand around on their own.

The staffy in question also loved wearing his maroon machine.
Now now.

No one is slagging 89 off, well not maliciously anyway. In regards to your comments about the Bn Conc, as I recall on more than one occasion there was more than one individual larging it, however there are/was some top blokes at the section who got a grip of them. In my experience at the concentrations etc 89 were just as involved as all the other sections, the only occasions when they were "on their own" was during the Section orientated elements.

Out.

int_gimp said:
way to win people over mate :)

think it largely depends on the personalities working there. there have been some f*cking good blokes work there, and also some tossers who have gone in for the whole brainwashed airborne / hat b*llocks. despite your valiant defensive stance (taken from behind a brand new arrse identity...) it has, in my experience, more frequently been the elitist superiority complex of some at 89 that alienates them from their corps brethren.

as for being "left alone" at bn concentrations - surely all that airborne maroon confidence should enable the guys to split up their little huddle, walk over to their old mates in "mere mortal" green berets, and say hello?

In. Out. Shake It All About. :lol:

b_ollo_cks said:
Seems like a bone question to me. Why would you want to know?

Latest Threads