1661 And All That....

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Queensman, Oct 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Warm and fraternal greeting to all Arrsers and all members of the former Queen's Royal Regiment, The East Surrey Regiment, The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment and The 1st Battalion the Queen's Regiment as well to The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment on this the 348th Anniversary of the Raising of The Tangier Regiment of Foot.

At 0830hrs 14 October 1661, The Regiment was raised by muster on Putney Heath.

Similar greetings to all as above on this, the 50th Anniversary of the formation of the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment on the amalgamation of The Queen's Royal Regiment and The East Surrey Regiment.

• Like Like x 5
  2. As a former member of 2 Queens (1977-1981) I shall raise a glass to the regiment this evening!

Best wishes to all former Queensmen and to those carrying on the traditions in PWRR.

Steady the Buffs!

:D :D :D :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Today we mark the 351st anniversary of the Raising of the Regiment.

Gone but not forgotten.
  4. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

What has ?
  5. I take it you forgot to celebrate the 349th and 350th then.
  6. The 2nd (Queen's Royal) Regiment of Foot, still alive and strong as part of the PWRR.... OPPO, a fourth generation Queensman!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The British Infantry at its finest.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. All the best I'm a still serving Queens Regiment soldier in 1st Battalion The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, deeply apretiate the old soldiers of the world drinking to the men of the past. Importance worth more then gold to remember the sacrifice and loyalty as we still have today in 1PWRR living up to the second to none tradition that is England's Oldest Regiment

• Like Like x 2
  9. A fine old regiment, certainly, and with traditions continued by a fine new one. But not England's oldest - that would be the Coldstream Guards, raised in July and August 1650. Don't be deceived by the fact that Coldstream is North of the border - that was simply where the enemy was to be found in our early years. The soldiers were all english and the cross of St George flies proudly at Victoria Barracks to this day. Crow_bag will, no doubt, be along shortly to offer to claim that his lot is senior, but that's fine - we've never needed a number. Nulli Secundus and all that...

Happy belated birthday Queen's.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Exrivofrigido: The Queen's are the oldest English Regiment of Foot. The Coldstreams are Foot Guards, as you know.... One should never confuse the two! ;-)

Thanks for the belated birthday greeting!!!
  11. And as if by magic the Grenadier appeared!

Arguing about the seniority of regiments is good for a bit of banter, but is well past it's best.

As age goes, now that there are no line regiments left who haven't been amalgamted at some point in their history would that make the RRF the oldest line regiment as they were formed in the 60s?

Still I'd rather be Welsh than a Coldstreamer ^~
    • Like Like x 1
  12. RRF formed 1968.... Royal Anglian formed 1964, so they have the RRF beat on that one. In fact, I guess the Parachute Regiment have been untouched since 1942.

However, I'm sticking with lineage and 1661! ;-)

If I was 2nd Bn I might try and say the Buffs as they were formed as the London Trained Band in 1572, but were on Dutch strength so don't count. Hence The Queen's being the 2nd of Foot, (1661), the 1st Bn, and The Buffs, the 3rd of Foot, (1665 when they became part of the British Army), the 2nd Bn.
  13. The Royal Scots beat you on that one as they were formed in 1633.
    • Like Like x 2