165 Heavy Anti Aircraft regt. R A

Good evening all,
This is my first post on your forum so if I transgress, please accept my apologies in advance.
As a child, my mother told me that her brother won a medal for something during WW11.
Now I have time being retired I felt I should spend some time looking into this "medal"
Information reveals that my uncle did indeed win a medal, the Military Medal.
The information I have is as follows :-

Alvin Paul Leaver, born 1920, Lance-sejeant, 165 Heavy Anti Aircraft regt. service number, 10566730.
North west Europe 1944-1945. Award gazetted, 24th January 1946.

What I really would like, the icing on the cake, is to find the event that led to his award, there are no members of the family ,save maybe his daughter, that can shed any light for me. It seems to have been in the Nijmegen area maybe ?

Many thanks for the chance to ask and hopefully a little light may come my way.......

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
if you look in the Gazette it should show the original listing for the medal

Page 641 | Supplement 37442, 22 January 1946 | London Gazette | The Gazette
I am sure that a serving RA member will know how to access the original records
the Royal Artillery Museum in Woolwich has closed but is moving to the west Country
linky thing here
they might be able to find you the regimental diaries, the full citation will be in there
and possibly photographs as well
http://www.salisburyplainheritagecentre.com/firepower_closure.pdf

another thing worth checking is the archives of Local Newspapers ( usually held by the local Council or Museum) in the area he lived, you can get copies of Newspaper articles about him
our local family history centre holds microfilm of all the newspapers for the county going back to the 1800s

Last edited:

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
165th HAA Regiment RA was formed on 10.7.42 at 46 AA Brigade HQ, Clifton, Bristol with 198, 275 and 317 HAA Batteries transferred from other regiments. Served in NW Europe, 275 Battery was disbanded on 23.6.45 and the rest of the regiment on 9.1.46, in BAOR.

Thank you all for your replies, I did try the local papers, in this case, the Bucks Herald and they did have just a small entry re' award but no details,
Details of the 165th are very welcome thank you. Some useful info here so I'll carry on and see what I can find out .......

The War Diaries should be held in the National Archive at Kew. It is quite easy to register as a Reader although I find their website difficult to navigate. The War Diary almost certainly will not have been digitised, so it will mean a trip to Kew to view it

I have just looked in my copy of the regimental history and found a good mention for 165 HAA. They were part of 100 AA Brigade with Second Army and took part in the longest continuous advance of the War from the Seine (30 Aug) to Nijmegen (21 Sep). On 22 Sep the brigade columns were attacked by tanks and infantry and 165 With 123 LAA fought them off at close range. After this 165 was in anti aircraft positions defending the road bridge. They were in action until 10 Nov, also responsible to protecting the bridge against riverine attacks. It could be that your relative earned his MM in one or other of these actions

feu_de_joie, many thanks for the information, it's all helping to get a bigger picture of the events at the time. Kew is a definite but will need to be when in London, I'm in Suffolk.
Welch Man, thanks anyway!

Good evening all,
This is my first post on your forum so if I transgress, please accept my apologies in advance.
As a child, my mother told me that her brother won a medal for something during WW11.
Now I have time being retired I felt I should spend some time looking into this "medal"
Information reveals that my uncle did indeed win a medal, the Military Medal.
The information I have is as follows :-

Alvin Paul Leaver, born 1920, Lance-sejeant, 165 Heavy Anti Aircraft regt. service number, 10566730.
North west Europe 1944-1945. Award gazetted, 24th January 1946.

What I really would like, the icing on the cake, is to find the event that led to his award, there are no members of the family ,save maybe his daughter, that can shed any light for me. It seems to have been in the Nijmegen area maybe ?

Many thanks for the chance to ask and hopefully a little light may come my way.......
Here you go mate.

£3.45...

But get yourself to Kew and enjoy the gardens anyway ^^

Recommendation for Award for Leaver, Alvin Paul Rank: Bombardier, Lance Serjeant... | The National Archives

Many thanks, Bravo _ Bravo that's the way forward, do you think the records will hold details of the action that won the medal ? Official citation maybe......

Many thanks, Bravo _ Bravo that's the way forward, do you think the records will hold details of the action that won the medal ? Official citation maybe......
Spend £3.45 and find out!

Are you from Yorkshire? ^^

Citations can be pretty detailed, but no guarantees.

Bloody northeners, civilisation stops at the Watford gap.......