16 week war veteran

Sad, but his brief military service hardly merits the negativity being displayed towards the MoD and Army.

Out of curiosity, when did someone with only four months training become classified as a war veteran? Lot missing out of the article like why he left in the first place, or did l skip that part?

"Mr Hawtrey said Wayne was very proud of his time in the Army, and was heartbroken when he was medically discharged just four months into his training."

So not a soldier or war veteran then.

MrMemory

War Hero
His mistake was to go surfing in Bolton. It's nowhere near the sea and a sofa lacks the hydrodynamic qualities necessary to reduce drag on the water...

I forget which charity it was, but a service charity, in their advertisements, advised that anyone who had `served for one day in HM Forces`, would be classed as a veteran. The media have picked up on this and now everyone, yep me included, is now regrded as a veteran and a bally hero.

I forget which charity it was, but a service charity, in their advertisements, advised that anyone who had `served for one day in HM Forces`, would be classed as a veteran. The media have picked up on this and now everyone, yep me included, is now regrded as a veteran and a bally hero.
Nothing to do with adverts, it's the government's definition as detailed in the Forces Covenant.

SSAFA - One day of service equals a life time of support (From the charities SSAFA will sign post you to).

windswept398

Old-Salt
His mistake was to go surfing in Bolton. It's nowhere near the sea and a sofa lacks the hydrodynamic qualities necessary to reduce drag on the water...
As funny as that is, this isn't the NAAFI mate. What if his folks logged in here and read that?

I wonder which war the 'veteran' was involved in, perhaps there was a punch-up in the NAAFI?
I'd hazard a guess that it wasn't the great LOLcat meme wars of 2007?

As funny as that is, this isn't the NAAFI mate. What if his folks logged in here and read that?
Why would his parents log in to read ARRSE?

Service in the military is not a get out of jail free card or a shortcut to benefits.
Injury sustained during military service is a different issue.
Spending several years in a relatively well paid job does not and should not leave people believing they are somehow further up the benefits queue.
It's starting to piss me off seeing how every dick with any military service who ends up in front of a court is suffering from PTSD. those who genuinely are are dipping out because of those cnuts and the courts should stamp down on them

A veteran should be anyone who has served in a warzone. Nothing else.

Didn't we have a thread fighting about that a while back?

Collins Dictionary states...
"A veteran is someone who has served in the armed forces of their country, especially during a war. "

Google online thingy states...
"having been involved in a particular activity for a long time"

In the States who are big into this they say "someone who has served under active duty and can deploy operationally".

Whilst its tragic what happened to him, the fact he spent short time in Training should not warrant emotional outpouring on the Wails comment section with "the military should do more for veterans". Without knowing the full facts he may of been found not suitable for military service for various reasons and those of us who know range from ones that families find acceptable to ones that they would not or like to hear.

Latest Threads