16 Day Camp - How was it for you?

redfibee

Old-Salt
My unit has recently completed its first 16 day camp. I didn't think an extra day would make much difference, but I was wrong.

Midday on Sat (day 15) the CO (a Reg) told the remaining Regs that they could go home, and take a few extra days off to compensate for having to do camp. He then dispersed himself.

Breakfast on Sun (day 16) saw those Reservists with jobs to go back to on Monday complaining big time. With some having a 7 hour journey home, followed by unloading and sorting out weapons, there was no down time in which to sort their own kit and catch up with their families before work on Monday. Some work shifts, which mean that they don't even get to catch up on sleep properly.

If a Reservist has a Mon-Fri job, they have to work 26 consecutive days without a break.

So whose "bright idea" was the 16 day camp policy, and does it work for you?

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
So all psi's etc went home in Saturday, including CO? Reservists stayed until Sunday?

Why?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Didn't they go through all this before with people needing rest before returning to heir own jobs.
Lorry drivers and people under a WTD.
If I couldn't prove 11 rest my firm wouldn't let me clock back in.
The days of turning up in uniform getting changed and cracking on have long gone.
Eventually it's always what will do for the reserve.
People will stop doing it.
It's one of the reasons I jacked you eventually run out of steanm on the whole thing.
As my civvie job pays more and a better pension the TA had to go.

Last edited:
C

count_duckula

Apparently transit days are no longer paid: this means that a 14-day qualifying camp has to be bracketed by two unpaid days. Bloody stupid idea.

Apparently transit days are no longer paid: this means that a 14-day qualifying camp has to be bracketed by two unpaid days. Bloody stupid idea.
If you're not being paid you're not under orders in my book, taxi to local station booked for 00:01. The regs can go and get the kit back when it suits them.
Seriously whatever idiot dreamed this money saver up needs putting on a 3 day paid 5 day working week and see how he likes it. Syrup is right it will just lead to people saying sod it and walking out.

So you had to do a 16 day ADE to qualify for CO's certificate of efficiency which is contrary to TA regs, that's a bit unusual to say the least.
Which unit are you in? I will add it to my list of things to avoid in the future.

mso

LE
So you had to do a 16 day ADE to qualify for CO's certificate of efficiency which is contrary to TA regs, that's a bit unusual to say the least.
Which unit are you in? I will add it to my list of things to avoid in the future.
Er, in accordance with TA Regs:

Definition of Training
2.031. Training consists of:
a. Camp that consists of 16 days continuous training at unit camp, on an attachment or a course. (Section 22(1)
RFA 96 permits up to 16 days to be required (from training year 2014/2015), but 16 days will continue to be the
maximum period of in camp training required by the TA.)

Er, in accordance with TA Regs:

Definition of Training
2.031. Training consists of:
a. Camp that consists of 16 days continuous training at unit camp, on an attachment or a course. (Section 22(1)
RFA 96 permits up to 16 days to be required (from training year 2014/2015), but 16 days will continue to be the
maximum period of in camp training required by the TA.)
Well, there you go.

slrdab

Swinger
isn't life wonderfull o_O

To be fair I can only imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if my unit was made to do a 16 day camp, I wouldn't mind but would sympathise with those who had young familes etc.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The problem we have found is that at the start of camp on Saturday the units we're taking over the accom from who don't want to leave until Sunday and at the end of camp there are other unit wanting to move in on Saturday and we don't want to leave until Sunday.
Not the most cunning plan. Still more cunning than getting rid of the G4 and G7 people who did all the work to make training happen.

M

Mr_Logic

The RHQ cleaner tells me that some units may well respond to the 15 to 16 day camp increase through just paying personnel for an extra day, but releasing them when they would have done anyway (one man's adventurous accounting is another's retention measure, etc). Alternately, units may (mistakenly) pay them for the Friday for preparation and travelling time, but then release them at 0805 hrs on the last Saturday. As to why the Regular Army and AHQ feel that the value of an additional day's training for people already tired after two weeks duty transcends the negative retention impact of sending them back to civilian employment more tired than before is beyond me. The plan is still to increase Army Reserve manning, isn't it?

Indeed, are there any grown-ups here who can explain to ARRSE what the point of this extra MTD is for? Is there some science behind it or just the normal complete lack of understand that being in the Army Reserve comes a firm third priority behind family and the job that pays the mortgage?

Indeed, are there any grown-ups here who can explain to ARRSE what the point of this extra MTD is for? Is there some science behind it or just the normal complete lack of understand that being in the Army Reserve comes a firm third priority behind family and the job that pays the mortgage?
Could be that or it could be to get the reserve used to the idea that the Army can and will **** you around for no adequately explained reason

I'll just take annual leave and do the 16 stretch.

I'll call it commitment and hand my kit in when it all becomes too much.

I'd rather do 16 worthwhile days though than some of the utter dross that I've had to endure in my time.

If I added up all the fag packet training days and divided by my years served I reckon 16 days a year is about right.

If the training were good quality, structured, relevant and rewarding, then the extra couple of days would not be an issue.

Latest Threads