16 Air Assault

Chaps

Ive heard a nasty rumour that the up coming tour by 16 air assault to Afghanistan will be their last one.

This due to their role being changed or something.

Does anyone have any better info?

Chocobot said:
Chaps

Ive heard a nasty rumour that the up coming tour by 16 air assault to Afghanistan will be their last one.

Para Regt to be disbanded spring-summer 2012 as part of MoD cutbacks. Don't have a need for their role any longer.

whitecity said:
Chocobot said:
Chaps

Para Regt to be disbanded spring-summer 2012 as part of MoD cutbacks. Don't have a need for their role any longer.
Source? This seems to be coming up a lot but I have difficulty believing it.

S

stevieni22

Now that the dust has settled on manning after Telic, 16 Bde are going back to doing thier usual job of the UK rapid reaction force.

So everyone else is getting rid of their Paras are they?
No? Oh well.
Sounds like bollix tae me!
There's a lot of other things in the queue to go first.

S

stevieni22

Boris3098 said:
So everyone else is getting rid of their Paras are they?
No? Oh well.
Sounds like bollix tae me!
There's a lot of other things in the queue to go first.
See my above post.

16AA will be going back to strategic reserve and will join the SLE (Spearhead Lead Element) cycle once we return from HERRICK 13. This means the Bde will come off the Roulement tour cycle and will be deployed as immediate response for any future deployments.

With the current finacial climate I cannot see the Bde deploying anywhere further than STANTA Trg area!

With SDR looming, 16 AA and 3 Cdo are probably the 2 safest Bdes at they fit nicely into the 'in quick,slot someone, rescue some nationals then get out quick' role i think the army is going to be used for in future.

I think we will still have a 'traditional' make up in other Bdes but of a smaller scale, perhaps 1 Armd Bde, 2 Mech Bde and 3 Lt Bdes. Just enough for peacekeeping or low level stuff, with just enough armour to defend the white cliffs of Dover when the French decide to have another go, or a small Div in support of a US led event.

But it is all guess work

Fallschirmjager said:
Moon_Monkey_Spunk said:
With the current finacial climate I cannot see the Bde deploying anywhere further than STANTA Trg area!
Thank fuck for that!
I don't know mate, I've just come back from STANTA, scary fookin place!!

Drifter21 said:
With SDR looming, 16 AA and 3 Cdo are probably the 2 safest Bdes at they fit nicely into the 'in quick,slot someone, rescue some nationals then get out quick' role i think the army is going to be used for in future.
I agree, the both the Parachute Regt and Royal Marines have been the first (non SF) to be called on for all of this country's overseas adventure training needs - except Iraq- since WWII. Neither organisation has even lost so much as a regular battalion / commando in either Options for Change or the more recent cull of historic regiments (including mine I'm sad to say). So it would seem inconsistent, as well as shortsighted on a scale not seen since Mr Magoo was invented, to cut either of them now. And although the days of large scale parachute drops might have been over as far as fighting something like the Warsaw Pact is concerned, I can't see why a jump of say company strength would not be considered for counter insurgency tasks - apart from the obvious one of finding an MP to agree to take the perceived risk.

whitecity said:
Chocobot said:
Chaps

No need for the arbitarily acting outrageously and calling anything that doesn't have a maroon beret a fookin' hat role anymore? I find that hard to believe........ :?

On handover generals Dannatt and Richards agreed that Jackson had unduly protective of the Parachute Regiment and that within a reasonable time they would be disbanded or reroled.

Given that there is no money in the MoD kitty for jump training, the paras themselves are nothing but a bunch of loadmouth yobbos and maroon is definitely so last century, it was initially agreed to simply disband the regiment and redeploy the troops into proper regiments.

However, as part of his efforts at entent cordiale with the EU, it has now been agreed that PARA would rerole as PNR and be incorporated into two new NATO formations. 2 PARA will shortly become the pioneer btn for the Portuguese RLB (Rapid Logistics Brigade) and 3 PARA will become an integral part of the new Evzoni Brigade being formed in Piraeus. It is not confirmed whether 3 PNR (ex PARA) will adopt the current Evzoni garb.

I look forward to it. Though I think you posted the wrong picture from one of your files, that one appears to have originated from your file entitled 'men who's spunk I would like to nurture inside my shitebox''

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R The Intelligence Cell 23
C Gunners 7
0 Infantry 9