16 AA Gimpy / 50 Cal modifications

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by sixty_three, Jun 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On Sky News again,

Are those Flash Eliminators becoming standard ?

2. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

From what I read in the Rifle Upgrades thread, it would seem so; perhaps they're being trialled on the GPMG by the 16AAB.

I didn't see any on the .50's, could you direct me to the video that shows them?

3. .50s dont have a flash eliminator

4. There's something on the end of the .50s, flash eliminator or no.
    Unfortunately there isn't a clear picture of it in any of the videos.

5. FLASH ELIMINATOR: Don't open your Coat, FLASH Eliminated!!
    Who Cares, when the thing goes off your position is compromised any way. BANG!! If the Enemy don't know you are there they will when the 7.62/.50 arrives to wake them up. :twisted:

6. [nowah] Its so you don't get blinded by your own flash, not so that the enemy don't see it...[/nowah]

7. Turns out i was wrong, i stand corrected, tehy kept that one quiet

8. A flash suppressor, also known as a flash guard, flash eliminator, or flash cone, is a device attached to a rifle or other gun that directs hot escaping gases from the barrel end. It reduces the visibility of the blazing muzzle flash which occurs upon firing both to the shooter and to other individuals.

Muzzle flash is especially visible at night, making it easy to see the location of the shooter, and at the same time interfering with the shooter's night vision. It is caused by incandescence of the expanding gases produced by burning gunpowder. Even during the day, the flash obscures the target view.

We both right :twisted: Wikipedia?

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That one in the sky news thread reminds me of the L37 one with a vortex cut in it, its not rocket science but you can see why we didnt buy them, if an L37 is firing then a big apc is on its way and you are very likely to see it.
    Need to see if it works with bayonet for the rifle, any answers?