16 AA Brigade

If you are with for example the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in 16 AA Brigade do you have to do P - Company and get your wings. If not can you do P-Coy anyway?

Most of the troops in 16 AA aren't para qualified, in fact ony the Para battalion (3 PARA i think) and 7 PARA (RHA) are posibly the only parachute qualified troops in 16 AA. The Air Assault bit corresponds more to being air-mobile than deploying via parachute. The rest is made up of sappers, rlc, cav, aac etc and a line infantry regiment (Highlanders). In answer to your question, no you dont HAVE to do P Coy. Whether you can do it or not is a quaestion for your C.O.

The MOD have just axed the three H.S battalions from that fine regiment to try and save money etc, i'm not sure that they will outlay that kind of money to put non-para role troops through P Coy and the jump course at brize, for what?

escape_artists_never_die said:
Those para trained in the Bn will include a rifle coy, recce and elements of Bn HQ, support coy mortar and milan platoons. Even though they're not in the para's - correct.
Hey, if you've got it, flaunt it...

.......but I've been in two regiments where similar offers were made..indeed, 'decreed' by the demi-gods at Div!......then the Para's get the hump..."its not fair, they're OUR parachutes :-( ...we'll poo in your kettles if you do!"

........ and we get thrown off again.

(and repeat)

Theres not much more to say, i'm not in the R Irish yet - i just take their money :D. So until someone more knowledgable backs up me i'm just going have to sit back and be wrong :(.

What have the HS Bn's got to do with anything? The HS have no impact on the GS Bn.

moving-target-survivor, but if they take your parachute.... you'll fall very fast and a bet that'd hurt! ;)

My point about the H.S Battalions was that in an attempt to save money etc the MOD have axed all 3 R Irish H.S battalions. If they are trying to save money why would they expend more money and resources to train and equip infantry soldiers for a role they will never be required to carry out. Then again we are talking about the M.O.D......

16 AA. Hmmm I think I'm in this... I'm not para trained.

edited no apparantly we are in 7th armoured but have been rumoured to be preparing to become part of 16 AA. Ah who cares....

I don't care what I'm in so long as It doesn't mean more ******* badges to sew on. How can a tartan patch be upside down ffs?

Lairdx said:
16 AA. Hmmm I think I'm in this... I'm not para trained.

edited no apparantly we are in 7th armoured but have been rumoured to be preparing to become part of 16 AA. Ah who cares....
Be in no hurry. 16x is the ultimate cake and arrse party and means at least a night in with a needle and thread sewing on all the scout badges. Got mine for helping a little old lady across the road.

The_Duke

LE
Cracking examples of guesswork beating truth every time! Just about all units in 16 Air Asslt Bde have para trained personnel. These include 7 (Para) RHA as discussed. Also 23 Engrs (9 Sqn and 51 Sqn), 13 AA RLC, 7 Bn REME, 16 CS med regt...the list goes on. Why not look at the various websites and find out!

The two Para Bns are 2 and 3 Para, with 1 Para in the support to UKSF role soon. The A&SH are the Air Mobile element of the brigade. Some are para trained but by far the exception not the rule. Also, there is no justification to train the AM Bn. They fulfil a diffent role entirely.

I am very interested to hear how 1 RI are conducting pre P Coy training, P Coy, and basic Para in amongst what is no doubt a very busy tour of Iraq!

Obviously someone has used some sort weird recruiting spell on escape_artists_never_die to try and coax him into joining them. In answer to the original question posed No not all of 16 Air Asslt Bde are para trained, for many of the reasons given here in other posts. It is the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and not the Highlanders who are in the Bde as the TALO Bn and anyone in the Army may try for the Pathfinder Platoon. The Duke

Well someone should definitely go round to Fort George when they get back and start checking the large number of chaps with para wings on their kit - bloody walts, i better give that bursary back! :D

The_Duke said:
Cracking examples of guesswork beating truth every time! Just about all units in 16 Air Asslt Bde have para trained personnel. These include 7 (Para) RHA as discussed. Also 23 Engrs (9 Sqn and 51 Sqn), 13 AA RLC, 7 Bn REME, 16 CS med regt...the list goes on. Why not look at the various websites and find out!

If you did check the 16x website you'd find just a few aviators. Very few of them feel the need to wear such a legacy badge. But there are quite a lot of them in the Bde.

Don't worry Duke - Bde also need to be reminded of this frequently, it seems.

Point 1: All para regt personnel are para trained. So that means 3 para btns are para trained. However, since SDR, only 1 btn is in a para 'role' at any given time - and it rotates between 1, 2 and 3 PARA. Soon, under FAS, 1 PARA is to be taken out of the line inf orbat and moved to HQSF. Then the para 'role' will alternate between 2 and 3 PARA every 6 or 12 months - but all personnel remain para trained! Some reports suggest 2 PARA will remain permanently in a para role and 3 PARA in TALO with trickle posting for para regt introduced in a BIG way around the 3 btns - so they all get a chance to play SF in St. Athan.

Point 2: 16 AA Bde is NOT 16 Parachute Bde - RTFW(ords). So, a large proportion of 16 AA Bde is NOT para trained - but some are, in order to support the para roled BG should it actually have to jump into combat. So yes, you will see lots of maroon lids and proudly worn wings, on all sorts of bodies knocking around Kent, Essex ad even further afield.

Point 3: Under FAS, it is understood that 1 RIRISH will become a permanent fixture in 16 AA in Connaught Bks - good luck to you there!!!! Also a RRS btn will rotate through Howe Bks every 2-3 years as part of 16 AA (the 4th btn) - or maybe one will be permanently based there and personnel will trickle. Does the Laird know something on this to resolve the issue?

Point 4: Whether a non Para Regt individual, who has little or no need to jump out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft, gets offered or asked to 'volunteer' for para training, depends entirely upon the faces concerned in the process AT THAT TIME. That's why there are several conflicting stories here. At THIS moment, there is an encouragement for RIRISH and (some to be) RRS personnel to get their wings as there is a 'long term' justification for the financial cost. For a variety of reasons, that decision could change tomorrow!

hope this helps
merkator