15th Sig Regt and general army structure question

I am in the process of joining the army (applied online from Dublin, did medical questionnaire and now have a CSM who will be in touch after Christmas).

The goal is to join the Signals (installation technician). I was focusing on the 15th Sig Regt but cant find anything about them, just that they do third level IT support. No info on squadrons and where they are based.

Are they a Regt to focus on, or should it just be the 10th?

The next question is placement in the army. Correct me if im wrong, but after your phase 3 training, your put into a squadron within the regiment you wanted to join, right? Can you have a preference to where you want to be based? The 10th has one ECM squadron based in Lisburn, so if your doing a ECM role, your 100% going to be put in that squadron?

I'm lucky that most postings are in the South-West, which is where I would want to be. I'm worried that I would finish my training and find myself somewhere terrible like Scotland.

Any clarity on this would be great.

Kai.

I don't know a massive amount about 15 but 600 SQN are at corsham. They do third line stuff but I think most of the lads there are techy techs not install tech? Like I said I don't know much about 15 so could be wrong. With regards to postings, yes you can ask to be posted to a specific place but you are not guaranteed to get what you want. In my experience you have a decent chance of getting one of your three choices but some would probably disagree. Good luck anyway mate.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using ARRSE mobile app

Thanks for letting me know. I will learn more as the time comes, but will ask about the 10th at my interview.

Just read that the squadron I would most likely be put is in moving to Graven Hill :( I take it Installation Techs are not really necessary in most other squadrons? Like I said, I don't really know how it works, how many variations of roles make up a squadron.

I got assigned a CSM today, so no point worrying about that. So many hurdles to get over yet.

Whatever your trade is, you will move every 2 - 5 years so the odds of staying in a preferred location are pretty limited.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Want to know about the structure/future structure - look through a2020
http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/Army2020_Report.pdf

15 signal regiment - information support based in Blandford. Formerly known as the USSO
http://www.arrse.co.uk/royal-signals/120355-usso.html

And if you want to know about signals have a read of the back catalogue of the signals magazine online
The Wire - British Army Website
Thats some serious reading material, should keep me busy for awhile :D thanks.

Read a good bit of that magazine, and the 15th seems to be what I'm after. Would they take me on for the 15th even going for installation technician?

Read a good bit of that magazine, and the 15th seems to be what I'm after. Would they take me on for the 15th even going for installation technician?
Kai, it doesn't work like that in the Sigs.

You will join the Royal Signals, do your basic, do your trade training and then be posted to a unit. You will belong to the Corps, rather than a Regiment within it.

Where you go depends on where your warm body and skills are needed, and they may take into account where you wish to go. This dance will occur, roughly, every every 2 - 3 years.

Install Techs are quite limited in where they can go. You may be advised to read the other trade group's write ups, if you wish for mobility.

You join the Corps and the Corps posts you where it needs you (isn). There are only 2 (sub)units where there is a selection process and 15 Sigs isn't one of them. Inst Techs are likely to be centralised soon leaving maybe 3-4 posting choices. I don't think Blandford is one of them.

If you join as an Inst Tech, you will probably spend a chunk of your time in 241 Sig Sqn (part of 10 Sig Regt and soon to move to Bicester). You will also have the opportunity to post to the MRSRs or 30 Sig Regt (York, Colerne, Stafford, Bulford and Nuneaton). When you progress up the chain, you can move to a variety of Units all over the UK.

Thanks guys for clearing that up for me. I would have a preference to anywhere in the south-west, but I get you cant always have your way. Thanks for giving me a squadron to look up as well. I will have Communications System Engineer as a second preference just in-case.

I can understand the need for a Inst Tech, but it must be really specialized since any technical support would be handled by another role, I guess you go between bases doing cabling, cctv and antennas?

As a Inst Tech, how much room does the army let you have with pursuing other certifications not really related to your role? I would want to take a Comptia cert to keep my current 3 up-to-date, and also go for Cisco certs.

Lastly...and this really is for my wife, what are the chances of a Inst Tech being posted in Cyprus or Gibraltar? :D

Thanks for the input so far.

Kai.

Thanks guys for clearing that up for me. I would have a preference to anywhere in the south-west, but I get you cant always have your way. Thanks for giving me a squadron to look up as well. I will have Communications System Engineer as a second preference just in-case.

I can understand the need for a Inst Tech, but it must be really specialized since any technical support would be handled by another role, I guess you go between bases doing cabling, cctv and antennas?

As a Inst Tech, how much room does the army let you have with pursuing other certifications not really related to your role? I would want to take a Comptia cert to keep my current 3 up-to-date, and also go for Cisco certs.

Lastly...and this really is for my wife, what are the chances of a Inst Tech being posted in Cyprus or Gibraltar? :D

Thanks for the input so far.

Kai.
1. Inst Techs mainly do cable infrastructure i.e. fibre and copper wire installation for IT and Comms systems. This is usually in HQs and on large sites.

2. You can do other quals via various schemes, but if you want to do Cisco, you are best off joining as a CSEng, as Information Systems is part of their role.

3. Inst Techs go out to Cyprus and Gib all the time, but only for weeks at a time.

3. Inst Techs go out to Cyprus and Gib all the time, but only for weeks at a time.
The wife would love that!

Looking at the roles again, I think a CSEng is probably what I'm after. I thought maybe since its my main interest, that I should do something else thats not it that I would also find interesting, so I would end up leaving the army with general IT certs and also cabling installation experience.

I would be happy with either role.

Thanks for the advice UKTAP.

There are currently spots for CSEng in Gib, Cyprus and FI (with wife).

InstTechs are a great bunch, but will soon be based in (pretty much) one location, surging out from their to mess around with cables.

The Army will not pay for you to Cisco as a Inst Tech, but you will get the chance to possibly do Fibre, cabling or rigging as a CSEng. And you get Cisco on your trade courses.

the bottom line is you go where the Corps wants you to be, its not about you. Sorry if its a bit abrupt but thats what soldiering is about, but enjoy it, no mark civvies will never understand that you belong to a unique club that they can never belong to.

Im a no mark civvy now, but still a member of the club.

Latest Threads