Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1500 Crimes in six months

It seems the PSNI have been investigating Muckamore Abbey Hospital in Antrim, after being called to the hospital 130 times in 6 months. Muckamore Abbey cares for patients with "severe learning disabilities".

They are reporting that they found 1500 crimes on one ward in 6 months, mental and physical abuse by staff against patients. 300,000 hours of CCTV to review. 20 staff are suspended.

It must be hard dealing with these people, but 1500 crimes in 6 months is more than 8 a day. Also seems a bit one-sided. I am sure the patients assault the staff all the time, but they have the defence of their mental state.

I wonder if there is a political agenda at play in the background? Sinn Fein seem all over this:

Tool

LE
Also seems a bit one-sided. I am sure the patients assault the staff all the time, but they have the defence of their mental state.

I wonder if there is a political agenda at play in the background? Sinn Fein seem all over this:

Don't see why there would be a political agenda. You are employed to LOOK AFTER people, including the mentally-unstable. If you take advantage and use illegal methods, either you are incorrectly trained and should not be in the job, or are aware that the actions you take are illegal.

Slime

LE
It seems the PSNI have been investigating Muckamore Abbey Hospital in Antrim, after being called to the hospital 130 times in 6 months. Muckamore Abbey cares for patients with "severe learning disabilities".

They are reporting that they found 1500 crimes on one ward in 6 months, mental and physical abuse by staff against patients. 300,000 hours of CCTV to review. 20 staff are suspended.

It must be hard dealing with these people, but 1500 crimes in 6 months is more than 8 a day. Also seems a bit one-sided. I am sure the patients assault the staff all the time, but they have the defence of their mental state.

On what basis are you sure the 'patients' assault staff all the time?

DUP is all over it as well Fat Gav was on the TV and radio.

What @Tool says is spot on.

Paying the staff a bit more (and therefore getting "better" staff) might go some way to sorting it out.

Muckamore has been an open secret in NI for a good few years.

Slime

LE
DUP is all over it as well Fat Gav was on the TV and radio.

What @Tool says is spot on.

Paying the staff a bit more (and therefore getting "better" staff) might go some way to sorting it out.

Muckamore has been an open secret in NI for a good few years.

Paying staff more money will have zero effect on abuse rates imho.
Staff members either are the kind who will do such things or they aren't.
You can also be pretty much confident that any staff member committing abuse will have almost certainly received training that showed what they have done was abuse.

Edit to add.
Caveat, the comment about staff either being the type to abuse or not was referring to wilful or deliberate abuse. Its entirely possible to commit abuse by accident or with no intention to do so, but those things don't fall into the type of abuse that are associated with abuse scandals.

Last edited:

Slime

LE
Perhaps I could have better phrased it. "It would not surprise me if...".

Think about the issue for a while.
All patients or service users will have a care plan that reflects the service users needs or aspirataions etc.

At one end you could have a completely docile patient who is able to make choices for them self, go alone into the community and perhaps hold down a job etc.

For someone like that there might perhaps be one support worker per six service users.

At another end there could be an extremely violent and unpredictable service user who will attack or try to kill staff members. Their care plan could dictate their access to weapons or things that can be used as weapons, and may stipulate that a minimum or three or four support workers just for that one service user.

The lone support worker for the docile service user may have some restraint training as part of even a level 2 qualification.

The support workers for the violent service user are likely to have NHS level 4 restraint or control training as they will need to be able to keep themselves and the service user safe.

The irony is that I was assaulted more by normally docile service users than the ultra violent ones.

Think about the issue for a while.
All patients or service users will have a care plan that reflects the service users needs or aspirataions etc.

At one end you could have a completely docile patient who is able to make choices for them self, go alone into the community and perhaps hold down a job etc.

For someone like that there might perhaps be one support worker per six service users.

At another end there could be an extremely violent and unpredictable service user who will attack or try to kill staff members. Their care plan could dictate their access to weapons or things that can be used as weapons, and may stipulate that a minimum or three or four support workers just for that one service user.

The lone support worker for the docile service user may have some restraint training as part of even a level 2 qualification.

The support workers for the violent service user are likely to have NHS level 4 restraint or control training as they will need to be able to keep themselves and the service user safe.

The irony is that I was assaulted more by normally docile service users than the ultra violent ones.

Way deeper than I was looking at it, mate. You obviously have in depth knowledge here. I was simply commenting on a news item. It struck me as somewhat unfair that some of the patients might be violent to the staff, whereas the staff are likely to be on a charge if they even defend themselves.

I can't comment on deliberate abuse, but that seems to be what the PSNI are looking into.

Slime

LE
Way deeper than I was looking at it, mate. You obviously have in depth knowledge here. I was simply commenting on a news item. It struck me as somewhat unfair that some of the patients might be violent to the staff, whereas the staff are likely to be on a charge if they even defend themselves.

I can't comment on deliberate abuse, but that seems to be what the PSNI are looking into.

I'll drop you a quick pm.