15 major retailers could be in danger of going under...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by msr, Dec 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Would it be wrong to offer a sweepstake on which 15 these could be?

msr

2. i so hope Dixons is sweating right now (they never haggle)

3. According to yesterdays Sunday Telegraph Business section paper,favourites could be Officers Club,Whitards of Chelsea,wouldn't want to scaremonger though. :twisted:

Edited to add details of paper.

4. Hopefully PC World. On Christmas Eve. That would really make my year.

5. msr

msr LE

6. Philip Green will own every highstreet in the land when all this finally settles down.

7. msr

msr LE

8. well no great loss then...officers club is full of chav clothing and Whitards of Chelsea is a pointless waist of shopping space...why would you buy tea from anywhere other than a super market in less you have more money than sense.

Personally I would guess at :

Barratts or/and shoefare ( the shoe shops)
    Blockbusters (internet buying/renting will kill them off)
    One of the big book shops waterstone/borders or wh smiths, with the latter two being the most likely
    Mothercare and/or Adams
    HomeBase or Magnet
    DFS or SCS

WW

9. I think it will be shops like SCS, DFS, Land of Leather etc, and then if we class Car Sales as Retailers what about Evans Halshaw, Lookers etc.

Mainly anywhere selling things that we generally need to go into debt to buy is going to suffer big time. Mind there'll be some massive bargains.....

10. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

He's been after M&S for years, so this should be interesting.

I doubt PC World will go down, they are part of Dixon group, and those companies are the kings of High Street piracy. See you coming a mile away, rob you blind, smugly gloating as they run you through with the 3 year warantee you clearly do not need.

But seriously, if our massive companies are struggling, surely this indicates the really dire straits our economy is in? Should we be sh1tting it, or just shrugging to ourselves, muttering 'que, sera, sera' quietly into our pints?

11. I bet the pound shop is rubbing its hands with glee, dreaming of a future where all commercial units are equipped for the chavist of the chav.

12. The Pier Group went down as when folk tighten their belts they do not buy nice extras for a house. They concentrate on feeding the family and with nil overtime or bonus do not spend.

With the massive decrease in house purchases & new builds I would predict that another furniture chain and a carpet chain goes belly up.

I think we will see a Jewellery chain bite the bullet.

Was in Dublin yesterday with mates and the Rumour Mill/Jungle Drums are that VW are going to close 50% of their Southern dealerships & that BMW will be flogging cars cheap very soon to raise cash. With the Auto industry in diffs a 'smoke damaged sale' seems to be real. My oppo was offered to upgrade from a top the range 3 Series Beamer to a 5 Series top of the range for only €12K over 3 years.

I also see a bookstore chain closing & a well known restaurant chain closing overnight as folk opt to eat in at home with a bottle of wine to save money. Tough times ahead for us all. Tighten the belts !

I think that Witards are so empty that their till takings are not even covering the electricity bill never mind wages & rent. I give them 6 weeks.

K

13. Can't find a link,but yesterdays business section of the Telegraph said The Officers Club,Whittards and Zavvi remained on the critical list.

" A slew of high profile names have already gone including Woolworths,MFI,SCS,Dolcis,MK One and Rosebys."

14. Surely not Elizabeth Duke? 8O

15. yes someone like pizza hut or TGI fridays will be ditched in favour of £3 pizzas from Icelands and £1.99 burgers from Maccy Ds