15/19H Question

Discussion in 'RAC' started by BuckFelize, Oct 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Look Ma! I'm in the RAC Forum! 8O Anyhow, just a quick question. A mate of mine swears blind that the 15th/19th wore a dark blue beret. I myself, however, distinctly remember seeing someone wearing a light grey beret with a red badge backing. So, who's correct? Was the bloke I saw attached to R SCOTS DG, or did the 15/19H wear dapper grey lids?
  2. Was,nt 15/19 Hussars then, they usally wore Buckets on their heads.
  3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Or an empty yellow handbag but never a grey jobby and the backing is not RSDG to my knowledge. which can be rather patchy at times.
  4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

As I understand it, a couple of reservists were called up for the Balkans and attached to a Scots DG battlegroup, being issued grey berets to fit in, but continuing to wear the 15/19H badge with the red felt backing normally worn with a navy beret.

One of them claims to have been the last person to have served under the 15/19H becase they had been Light Dragoons for a couple of years by then but nobody could source him an LD badge.

5. Quite correct boggles mate, the guy in question is a member of the Regt site on facebook. As for buckets and yellow handbags, from 3 RTR this is a case of the kettle calling the frying pan a black arse. Must admit though we could drink them under the table at any given time.
  6. Thats not forget 16/5 either GH! And as for drinking us under the table yep you're probably correct...........................it's no wonder most of you were members of the AA! That ain't the Automobile Association either!!! :wink:
  7. Must admit we liked a drink, any excuse and the bar was open. In BATUS once the Sqn Ldr made A Sqn go dry so we filled our jerry cans with ale.
  8. I rest my case! That would explain why on an FTX circa 83 when 'The Raaeeeezzzzzer Blaaaaaeeedes and Beeeeeeercan Roooooeeeells' were our close recce they led us down a track which they said was suitable for MBT, clearly in their eyes that stood for Mini Beer Tent! :x As a consequence me and my Tp Ldr spent the next 5 days bogged IVO of Oldendorf (of Fox fame see u/m link)......................TWWWWWAAAATTTTSSSS!!! :D
  9. Actually the buckets on heads was right, as worn by two of your lot at a bovvy hop one night, why? good question, but they thought it was funny 8O

Oh and ty Soprano, didnt want to get thought of as one of yours :)
  10. AlienFTM

Spearpoint 1980. Being 3 Div and umpires, we even managed to get the Training Wing Warrant Officer and his driver out on scheme with us in a Ferret that normally just lived at the back of Command Troop's hangar.. Snagglepuss, the driver, took two water bottles with him. after a particularly long, dry, dusty drive, they pulled up back in our location.

TWWO told driver over the I/C, "I'm parched: I'm taking a swig from your water bottle."

JP turned to verify which water bottle he was drinking from but could not stop TWWO grabbing the one that was full of Apfelkorn. There was this "Oh shit!" moment as they each realised what the TWWO had just discovered during his long swig of the sort that, having started, he wasn't easily going to stop.

He never drank from anyone else's water bottle without permission again.
  11. Capt Ed F***T was attached to the Scots DG for round 1 and appeared on the news behind some throbber who was visiting the BG. Trust Ed to get his mug on the tele!
  12. I know one thing if you were looking for C sqdn.The legion all you had to do was follow the trail of beer cans on the road.lol

As far as the RAC paras go i heard they jumped out upside down and landed on their heads.Because it wouldn't hurt so much as their brains had been removed.lol

Now back to the ? only three berets have been worn by members of the 15th/19th,navy blue,grey by those attached to the scots dragoons and light blue for U.N.
  13. AlienFTM

Maroon by those attached to the Para Sqn?

I remember a lad joined our troop having transferred out of the Paras and getting a lot of grief from the ex-Para Sqn lads for wearing his maroon beret. I am sure he quickly took to wearing a blue beret.
  14. and sky blue when I was attached to AAC
  15. The way i heard it,you wore what ever color beret of the regiment you were attached to.except the RAC para until you completed your para training.Also if attached to infantry regiments you wore the regimental hackle behind your badge.After i got out in 75 i joined the northumberland fusiliers a TA unit in Ashington.But because i was on the Army A reserve list,i wore my regimental badge with a red and white hackle behind it.