15/19 The Kings Royal Hussars.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by westendboy, Feb 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Probably my best ever posting as a REME Tels Tech.

We actually looked forward to going on scheme cos of the piss ups.

Anyway to get to the point, why did they call the big bonfire (where everyone sat around it and knocked back Amstel `til they fell over) a Jurger. Not sure of the spellin there.:???:

I remember one out on Soltau 1974 ish when the whole regiment attended - Col, RSM everyone.

They`d spent most of the day gathering trees with a fleet of Stalwarts and it was the biggest fire I`d ever seen.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Aka "Fun with Vulgar Fractions"
  3. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I did my time and asked myself the same question every time we pulled up and lit a great bonfire. I made a breakthrough a handful of years ago when on Sky News I saw an article about a Great Jirga in Pakistan. click. Sun comes up. Google is your friend.

Jirga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A jirga (occasionally jargah) (Pashto: جرګه) is a tribal assembly of elders which takes decisions by consensus, particularly among the Pashtun people but also in other ethnic groups near them; they are most common in Afghanistan and among the Pashtuns in Pakistan near its border with Afghanistan. It is similar to that of a town meeting in the United States or a regional assembly in England, where important regional matters are addressed among the people of the area.

Obviously mid-scheme it is absolutely necessary to have an assembly where important regimental matters are addressed among the people of the regiment. Around a big fire with a slab of Export / Dog / insert beer of choice (note lager does not count though Pilsener has to be tolerated if it's all you can get in West Germany and Eskimo Ness, the SQMS, lowers himself to carry it) is obviously a good way to do it.

By the mid-70 when I joined it had become just an excuse for what units without style and panache would call a smoker.

For no reason other than plausibility, my personal opinion is that the term Jirga came down the 19th Hussars (19th Royal Hussars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) arm of the regiment (latterly C Squadron, The Legion (of 19th Hussars post-1922 amalgamation) simply because they were raised as 1st Bengal European Light Cavalry in India and what is now Pakistan.

So, the jirga is essentially a Chinese Parliament: yet another cavalry term assumed by Them and taken as their own, when in fact the old adage is once again proved, "If you ain't cav, you ain't". *

* "If you ain't cav, you ain't". A 15/19H expression borrowed from the Septics in the late 70s. There is a thread somewhere (probably in this forum but it must be years old, so here is an abridged repeat).

A Sqn 15/19H were 3 Armd Div's Armd Recce Regt and was wholly devolved from 15/19H to the various battle groups, doing Op Banner and BATUS with their parent BGs. At the end of one Med Man, a 15/19H troop crossed the border into the USA. At this time the Septic army had a major recruiting problem. Post-Vietnam they had ditched conscription but the army's face was so besmirched that the only recruits they could get were no-hopers, while all their veterans were walking out of the door, last one out switch the light off.

In a desperate attempt to up the IQ of the average US soldier, they started a major recruiting drive. This was most obvious in the form of a series of bumper stickers. When 15/19H troops on R&R saw the sticker "If you ain't cav, you ain't" intended to draw recruits into the airborne cavalry, they had to have. For the next few years, "If you ain't cav, you ain't" was regularly seen on the streets of Paderborn, perpetuated when other BGs went to BATUS.

A couple of years later the bumper sticker popularity was extended when "I shot JR" became popular. And following that, some bright spark in the UK produced "Hissing Sid shot JR" stickers. Search Google for "Hissing Sid shot JR" and you'll find my original post mentioned above about fifth down.

Needless to say the "If you ain't cav, you ain't" vogue spread and some non-fractional regiments, unaware of the fact that it had actually been brought into British culture by a fractional regiment, decided obviously wrongly that they might cock a snook at the fractions by adding the qualifier "Fraction don't count". Morons.

Hope this helps.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. AlienFTM

Oh and while 15/19H were known as The Geordie hussars, let me make it clear that my own first language is not the coarse language of the Newcastle Geordie, but the far more mellifluous Pitmatic, the lingua franca of those drivers of the Industrial Revolution, the miners of the Durham Coalfield.
  5. AlienFTM

And obviously, as you can now see, actually more specifically a cavalry term for a smoker. RTR, not having the history, use "smoker" like everyone else.
  6. Even for a Fractional Cavalry Regiment that is an impressive map reading cock up, only 100 miles the wrong way!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Did Corps Training with 15/19 H in 1960,Barnard Castle.Seemed a decent bunch of lads.Now why did they wear a divided white lanyard on BD?
  8. And why did the RH not have a lanyard at all?
  9. AlienFTM

**** nose. Didn't wear a lanyard at all in my day. And we removed the brass belt supports from our No 2 Dress jackets (I was still doing this years later after I'd transferred out to the Shiny-Arrsed Pay Corps. Nobody asked - I doubt anyone noticed. I'd have just told them I was ex-15/19H and this is what we did.

You can take the man out of the cavalry but you cannot take the cavalry out of the man.
  10. AlienFTM

Must ... not ... bite. Must ... remember ... people ... are ... not ... really ... this ... stupid ... and ... really ... he ... is ... trying ... for ... a ...bite.

Edit: Bugger. Arrse has a "post is entirely in capitals: must convert to lower case" system that loses the whole effect.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 11H 'No Lanyards' as well.No idea why.
  12. Stay calm Boggles, are you doing Tankfest this year?
  13. AlienFTM

Damn right. You and Dicky and the fit young woman who must love him for his something other than his good looks? I'll be going on the Sunday simply cos nipper works Saturdays.