15,000 crocodiles escape from South African farm

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
15,000 crocodiles escape from South African farm - Telegraph

Well that would certainly ruin your day.Happily once again experts are on hand to dish out the kind of sound advice that nobody would ever think of for themselves:

"Animal safety experts warned people to stay indoors and stay away from the crocodiles."
Does this win the statement of the obvious award?

"There used to be only a few crocodiles in the Limpopo River," said Zane Langman, the son-in-law of Johan Boshoff, who owns Rakwena. "Now there are a lot."
Wordsmith

Can you imagine having a bit of a lazy day, dozing against a tree, frosty can of beer at hand, hat pulled down over the eyes.

You know - relaxed and at ease with the world.

Then you look up and there are 15,000 (Fifteen THOUSAND) crocodiles heading your way.

That could do some serious damage to your sphincter muscle could something like that.

Is there such a huge market for farmed crocodiles?

What do people do with them? Are they grown for food, or for croc skin? After all many countries now ban the use of crocodile skin so where do the crocs go?

Are they bred for research instead of beagles?

Answers are required! This could be an overlooked business oportunity.

Edit: It's ok, spare me the answers. I've just done a search and had a read up on this. It seems that in Austrailia at least, Crocodile skin products sell for a good price.

C

cloudbuster

I'm intruged to know how the farmer who released the crocs is managing to identify the escapees? Will he just go on until he's got 15,000 sets of teeth back behind the wire, or carry on until he's de-populated the river?

Easy answer regarding biting crocodiles, just don't bite them.

Will we see a resurgant SA swimming team at the Rio Olympics, I wonder?
I recall reading that a number of SADF chaps went missing, presumed killed by crocs during covert ops or while crossing rivers during the Angolan War or Border Wars IIRC.

I wouldn't want to face one of those scaley buggers - I've seen them being fed at a zoo from the other side of a sheet of toughened glass and that was scary enough!

Rodney2q

Is there such a huge market for farmed crocodiles?

What do people do with them? Are they grown for food, or for croc skin? After all many countries now ban the use of crocodile skin so where do the crocs go?

Are they bred for research instead of beagles?

Answers are required! This could be an overlooked business oportunity.
I would fancy being the one who has to tell to to cut down on the fags.

Seriously though I once ate deep fried crocodile tail from a chippy in Glasgow, did taste like chicken though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Unknown_Quantity Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2
F Current Affairs, News and Analysis 16
Gunner_ear Army Pay, Claims & JPA 42