148 Bty aptitude (RN)

Does anyone know what the navy altitude down at 148 entails? I have the basics, in the way of phys, requirements but was hoping for somewhat of a heads up.

Cheers

It pretty hard, I know of a couple of Navy blokes who did it. Its the same as 29's beat up basically. So climb rope, do lots of pull ups etc.

Poole, United Kingdom is located at 50.7167 [latitude in decimal degrees], -2.0 [longitude in decimal degrees] at an elevation/altitude of meters. The average elevation of Poole, United Kingdom is 1 meters.

Does that help ?

Why are you interested in the height above sea level of a unit that about to be disbanded anyway ?

As Wellyhead points out - they're about to be consigned to "le livre de histoire" as they may say in a bad French lesson. Whether there will still be a specific NGS element to 29, or whether they'll "make do", is probably not decided yet.

Thanks, but that's not what I'm after. I'm well aware that they're due to go, but that's irrelevant at the minute. I'm still doing the aptitude, and I'd quite like to know what it involves so I can start preparing as the guy I've been in contact with Is out off office.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
what exactly is '148 Bty'?
A Naval Gunfire Support Battery from 29 (Commando) Regiment Royal Artillery.

It is about to go the way of all things SDSR.

Ring them - there's a PO and CPO down there who are mega-friendly, won't dick you around and you'll get gen info, not 2nd hand stuff.

There's quite a long article in this month's dockyard dandy, including a breakdown of aptitude and contact numbers.

ye - get thee down to w h smiths or on the interwebz.....

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
[/wah] why are the RN sticking stuff in Navy News to drag in recruits if the Bty is about to die? [\wah]

I've not met anyone in the RN who knows for sure that 148 Bty is going. I appreciate that there is/was a massive dick fight during SDSR and the A2020 review regarding support to 3 Cdo Bde - the basic gist being that if the RN wants support for "it's" Commandos then they can ******* well pay for it themselves - and I suspect that this is one part of that fall-out, cf 24 Cdo -> 59 Cdo, but one that might not yet be complete.

oldbaldy

LE
When I was at the Citadel for the reunion, word was 148 is going but the assets would all be relocated to a much enhanced HQ Battery. Word also was RN were not happy. As you say Alfred it's a 'Wait out'.

The irony is that the army get more use out of 148 assets than 3cdo bed , they certainly did in the Falklands.

I was down in Poole for the reunion,and the bde boss considers them to important for advance force operations to let them go.

I just wish that people would get away from n.g. S. as the only tool in their box.

148 is still alive and kicking. The reunion went well and there is still hope the BC told us at a briefing.The RN is welll represented within the battery.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Gunners 29
theboss Gunners 4
M Gunners 52