148 battery

R

randomgary

you have to be very fit and pass the all arms commando course! you then continue on with their in house course! its a complete ball breaker!!

their role is naval gunfire support unit! its like an artillery observer for naval artillery!

very good outfit and a very professional bunch!

148batt is part of 29 Commando. 29 are RA soldiers & are required to undertake all arms commando.

The house courses at 148 (and 4/73) are not secret but are left intentionally vague...Either-way beware the shocker in the locker!

Unfortunately I dont know if 'badged' commandos can go straight to 148 or are required to pass through 29 before hand?

R

randomgary

moving-target-survivor said:
148batt is part of 29 Commando. 29 are RA soldiers & are required to undertake all arms commando.

The house courses at 148 (and 4/73) are not secret but are left intentionally vague...Either-way beware the shocker in the locker!

Unfortunately I dont know if 'badged' commandos can go straight to 148 or are required to pass through 29 before hand?
too much info lol!

They even let the occasional matelot in I've heard....Can't be that difficult

oldbaldy

LE
hardcore92 said:
my cousin currently serves in 4/73 so i already have a good idea from what he has told me about what the course involves
was just wondering weather 148 is open to royal marines
148 is an RA unit but does have others attached. The place they are located might give a clue to the work they do.

oldbaldy

LE
thegimp said:
Until a few years ago they had to do the AACC followed by P Company. :D

R

randomgary

oldbaldy said:
hardcore92 said:
my cousin currently serves in 4/73 so i already have a good idea from what he has told me about what the course involves
148 is an RA unit but does have others attached. The place they are located might give a clue to the work they do.
only if you know who else works there lol

oldbaldy

LE
randomgary said:
oldbaldy said:
hardcore92 said:
only if you know who else works there lol
Sssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... :D

oldbaldy said:
thegimp said:
Until a few years ago they had to do the AACC followed by P Company. :D
Like I said can't be too difficult LOL :D

oldbaldy

LE
hardcore92 said:
searched on here but could not find that much information on this unit,
was wondering if anybody knew;
-requirements to join
-who it is open to
-what they do

thanks in advance
Volunteers for the battery must first complete All Arms Commando Course, and basic parachute course. After Commando qualification, unless already Observation Post qualified, they then undergo six months of basic Gunnery Control training and Observation Post operations. Personnel are trained in infiltration and exfiltration, covert observation, target identification and location, voice and data communications, Morse code, adjusting gunfire from both afloat and ashore, and Forward Air Control (FAC) techniques. Upon completion of the course the new Naval Gunfire Assistant (NGA) will be assigned to a Forward Observation team for a probationary period.
Once an NGA has completed probation the candidate may be selected to undergo further amphibious training beyond that of AACC. During amphibious training, NGA's are trained in over-water parachute infiltration. Training is also conducted in Combat Diver inflitration, Small/Fast Boat Coxswains; Small/Fast Boat operations and long-range surface navigation. Much of the training is conducted at night with this being the preferred time for covert infiltration and exfiltration. One team member (the team medic) is also cross trained as a combat medical technician with additional medical training in BATLS (Battlefield Advanced Trauama Life Support) BARTs (Battlefield Advanced Resuscitation).

The unit conducts training in various exercises and climates including Mountain and Arctic, Jungle, Desert and temperate
Didn't try very hard did we.
Or ask for more here:

http://commandogunner.editboard.com/forum.htm

R

randomgary

oldbaldy said:
hardcore92 said:
searched on here but could not find that much information on this unit,
was wondering if anybody knew;
-requirements to join
-who it is open to
-what they do

thanks in advance
Volunteers for the battery must first complete All Arms Commando Course, and basic parachute course. After Commando qualification, unless already Observation Post qualified, they then undergo six months of basic Gunnery Control training and Observation Post operations. Personnel are trained in infiltration and exfiltration, covert observation, target identification and location, voice and data communications, Morse code, adjusting gunfire from both afloat and ashore, and Forward Air Control (FAC) techniques. Upon completion of the course the new Naval Gunfire Assistant (NGA) will be assigned to a Forward Observation team for a probationary period.
Once an NGA has completed probation the candidate may be selected to undergo further amphibious training beyond that of AACC. During amphibious training, NGA's are trained in over-water parachute infiltration. Training is also conducted in Combat Diver inflitration, Small/Fast Boat Coxswains; Small/Fast Boat operations and long-range surface navigation. Much of the training is conducted at night with this being the preferred time for covert infiltration and exfiltration. One team member (the team medic) is also cross trained as a combat medical technician with additional medical training in BATLS (Battlefield Advanced Trauama Life Support) BARTs (Battlefield Advanced Resuscitation).

The unit conducts training in various exercises and climates including Mountain and Arctic, Jungle, Desert and temperate
Didn't try very hard did we.
Or ask for more here:

http://commandogunner.editboard.com/forum.htm
lol if he cant use a search engine, hes probably failed already !!!

Give me a shout with a contact email in PM and I will give you a heads up, I left the battery 4 years ago after spending 17 years with 29 including 9 with 148

However the battery hasn't used morse in about 8 or 9 years to my knowledge probably longer, its open to all arms ask your clerk for the DCI and all the information is there

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Gunners 9
R Gunners 27
P Gunners 2