144 (para) field ambulance

Apologies if this has been done to death elsewhere, but can anyone provide some up to date info on this unit, i.e. locations, selection process, cut off age etc

I am sure that the guys will help you out.

msr

This is where they are - no contact details though!

144 PARA Med Sqn:
SHQ – London/Hornsey.
A Det – Glasgow.
B Det – Nottingham.
C Det – Cardiff.

I know one of their fullscrews sees no problem, when picking up his recruits, in collecting as much of their packed lunch sweets as he can cram into a brown paper bag.

Even worse, he thinks that because he is in civvies he cannot be b@llocked for nicking stuff

WRONG

Hi.
I was the junior PSI here from 1973 to 1974 before completing my service and leaving the service.
My Senior PSI was Cliff (can't remember his surname)
Strange job, wore civvies all week except drill nights (Thursday's) and weekends.

Not the happiest of times, bored mostly with very little to do.
Our drill halls were rented out to various television companies to do their rehearsals.

Regards
Terry Stevens

Apologies if this has been done to death elsewhere, but can anyone provide some up to date info on this unit, i.e. locations, selection process, cut off age etc
144 PARACHUTE MEDICAL SQN

Part of 16 MED REGT (reserve Sqn) LONDON, NOTTINGHAM, CARDIFF. GLASGOW.

As an Airborne unit you need to pass P-Coy.

During part of your basic all arms selection based at brigade training teams, you will be assessed for your fitness, during or after your fitness will be tested, if successful you will be put forward for P-Coy. It's physically demanding so you would struggle if you were over 40, but thats not the cut off age. If you have passed P-Coy previously, you amy just need to show that your fitness is still there i.e. 10 miler.

The next P-Coy is in December, with training starting very soon.

They still had the 144 Parachute Medical Squadron sign up in Llandaff this morning

I served with Nottingham's 144 PFA between 1983-85. They still have Detachments in Nottingham, Cardiff, Glasgow and London, although they have moved from the Duke of Yorks Headquarters in London to a different location in London. 144 Nottingham Detachment are now on Triumph Road, (formally Wigman Road), about five hundred yards from the Queens Medical Centre Hospital off the A52. There training night for the Nottingham Detachment is on a Wednesday evening. You should get there for around 7:30 PM. Contact details;
(Tel: 0115 9789632) Potential recruits should be already to a good standard of fitness, as this is a unit that deploys troops to Afghanistan with 16 Air Assault Brigade on a regular basis. Everyone that wears the maroon beret has to pass the P-Company test if they wish to progress as a military parachutist.At least five members of the Nottingham Detachment have already mobilized to Afghanistan for the Brigades next deployment.

Some members are Doctors, Nurses and Ambulance technicians in civilian life, but you don't have to be, as all training is provided through the Army Medical Corps. You will find that on application you will be assessed medically, and will also be assessed by the units PTI instructor on your standard of fitness. When you are deemed fit enough, you will have to pass P-Company. When I did my training in the 1980s P-Company was your first obstacle. Once this is done you did a two week Combat medical technicians course, followed by two weeks Parachute training course. To be fully qualified takes time and effort by yourself, and this can mean time off work. for the medical and parachute courses. You will also need to have free time for the weekends needed for your initial build up training, and any unit exercises that will come up. You can expect to be training every other weekend in some cases to come up to standard, as well as lots of time on your own at home to keep fit for purpose.

144 PFA is a great Unit, and is respected through out the regular and reserve armed forces as being one of the best in the Country. This is shown by the amount of men that serve on active duty today.

Good luck on your attempts of getting in.

All the best.

Mark Holding
(Treasurer Nottingham Branch Parachute Regiment Association)