144 Medical Squadron

As an NHS employee I found my boss extremely supportive of joining the TA, there will also be written policies and procedures about what you have to do for the organisation and what they will do for you.

Also, I may be being completely stupid here, if MMA, mixed martial arts is what your talking about, then the army are supportive of this and have their own competitions!

Training commitment is basically as described on the website you have quoted. Training weekends count as 2.5 days (Friday night through to Sunday afternoon, taking place usually every fortnight) and drill nights count as 0.25 days and usually take place 1930-2130hrs on a Tuesday or Wednesday night. In addition you will need to complete a two week (15 day) residential camp or course per year. If you achieve a total of 27 days from these activities and pass the required military tests you are eligible for a tax free bounty paid at the end of the year in Mays pay.

As for P-Coy I'm sure someone will be along shortly to fill you in on the details.

RNCbob have a look through this thread and maybe send this guy, 17thseptember 1944 a PM as he's the man in the know

also if you're down the bay on the 26th i'm sure 144 will have a recruiting stand like they did last year

so whats your mma record like then, it wasn't you down in swansea last year was it?
oh and finally, welcome to the snakepit that is the en aitch ess in south wales
:twisted:

RNCbob said:
Hi all,

New to all this, but I assume it’s a great place to obtain a mass of subjective and objective views regarding all things military.
Anyway the short of it is, I will starting a new job for the NHS (Public Health Improvement) in Cardiff in July and at the moment very keen in potentially joining the 144 Medical Squadron, who have a attachment based in Cardiff.

I therefore due to my lack of knowledge regarding the TA and 144 Medical Squadron have a few questions, that I would be grateful if a few people could give their answers and opinions etc.

Cheers

1) Is the commitment for 144 the same as it states on the Army website > http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/toughquestions/pages/HowoftendoItrainintheTA.aspx
YES - But as casual labour you can be flexible, no cut in MTDs yet

2) How would my new boss view the fact that I want to join the TA, could it be frowned upon and potentially damage my career progression, as I could be viewed as not being fully committed?
This depends entirely on your boss - we have some good supporters who pay your wages whilst on annual camp, we have some who hate it, you must inform your employer.The NHS is usually good.

3) Do they get you through P-Company before you start the 144 ‘Trade’ training?
Yes-but you must get through it with our help, we now do beat up weekends the next P-Coy for you would be in December, so come along soon get the paperwork sorted & start build up training.

4) Would having a competitive history in MMA be viewed badly? as the mainstream media perception is so negative, even though it is a fully sanctioned combat sport.
No.

Thanks for your time, and I’m sure more questions will come as I think of them.