14 SR (EW) Celle boring question!?

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Salford-Vera, Feb 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What, if any, stories did you ever hear about the actual camp building? Im sure ive read stuff about tunnles and the depth of the main building but i cant remember where to look. The only reason i ask is that ive been watching a programme on uktv history about the tunnels around Berlin and other parts of Germany (Sad fook I know) but it does look interesting.

What did you hear about the place? What did you know?

Personally, i got told the building went as deep as was high and that it was flooded soon after the end of WWII after divers went in to see what was in there.
  2. Tunnels, i meant tunnels. Tunnles what a thwait!
  3. Flippin eck Jack your on the ball fella.
  4. I just follow your avatar around the internet!
  5. Did you see when i was on busty euro maids?
  6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

And it was all b0llocks. Celle = sand. Waterplane = 6 mtrs... Think about it, its a red brick building FFS:roll:
  7. Was it? I didnt know that, infact thats the first time anyone has said/wrote that.

Where did you get that info, ie Celle sand waterplane etc and DONT say t'internet otherwise your barred. <insert smiley thingy>
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Were you ever there? Did you not go running around a bit? Ever dig a hole? It is only a sparrows tadger above sea level on a ancient flood plain generally known as Luneburger heide. Bottom line is, you would only want to go down to a foundation level - like 1 storey and a bit - otherwise you would have the maintenance issues that eventually caused the celler to get filled in during (I heard from local Germans) the 60's.
  9. All bollocks, I'm afraid. Block 14 was built in the Kaiserzeit to accommodate the gallant lads of 2. hannoversche Infanterieregiment Nr 77 - hence the location on 77er Strasse. 1874 or thereabouts rings a bell - in any case, it was a regiment of the former Hannoverian Army, absorbed by the Prussians in 1866 after Hannover chose the wrong side in the Six Week War. Block is red brick and designed to accommodate a full 4000-man infantry regiment in conditions of some intimacy.

The block was huge and had one souterrain basement only - where the troop stores and offices and so on were located in the 1980s. As noted by other posters, that bit of Germany is a bit sandy and the local waterplane is relatively high - no deep basements or dodgy tunnels, I'm afraid.

No dodgy history in WWII, either - formed up Ersatz battalions for the local Wehrkreis, pushed them through basic training and hoofed 'em off to the Front.
  10. You have made a fair point and are indeed correct about the sand, i just forgot, sands of time and accute memory loss etc.

The programme that was on lastnight though was really interesting and just got me thinking about Celle and the rumours abound at the time.

Sorry to have wasted your time although it was nice whilst it lasted.
  11. That's a crackin' trick! Not being an expert in this matter I'd have thought the place would have been flooded before the divers went in.

Or an 800 man EW regiment in conditions of some schimpfing!
  12. Didn't hear any rumours about flooded cellars etc when I served there in the mid 80s. The only "fact" I ever heard about the main block (apart from some of the info given by Glad its all over) was that it was the largest, freestanding, brick-built building in Europe (whatever that may mean). Also that it had been build by French POWs taken during the Franco-Prussian War. However, life being more bizarre than fiction, we did have a dyslexic post NCO and when one of my mates lost his vetting due to his dependence on alcohol they made him the SGTs Mess barman.....and there' more! :salut:
  13. [/quote]That's a crackin' trick! Not being an expert in this matter I'd have thought the place would have been flooded before the divers went in.[/quote]

Flippin eck i'd had a few beers....ok!
  14. Sniffing around, the glory moment for the Heidekaserne (Taunton Barracks as it became) was the Celler Hasenjagd in 1945, when concentration camp inmates en route from a smaller camp to Bergen Belsen area staged a mass escape and were hunted down and the lucky ones shot out of hand by Wehrmacht, Police, Hitler Youth and any old Eric with a blunderbuss before the survivors were stashed at the barracks and pretty much left to die of their wounds and starvation before the Brits got there, which, fortunately, they mainly did.

Lovely place, Celle, I thoroughly enjoyed my time there, but a distinctly dark edge to its history 1933-45. Not many non-Nazis in evidence, at least until early May 1945 when the entire population miraculously became Social Democrats.

In many years of living and visiting Germany, I think I've only ever met one German veteran who hadn't served on the Eastern Front, he said. The honourable exception was one of the drivers at Langeleben who'd been a CSM in the engineer battalion of the Leibstandarte, had been captured by the Americans and escaped in order to head North and surrender to the Brits instead, as "they treated me correctly and allowed me to wear my decorations and rank". Fair play to him, he made no secret of his politics, however repulsive they were - and on odd nights in Schoeningen, dealing with the local Gastarbeiter, you could kind of see what he was getting at.