14 Sigs - The 4 Day Week - Does it work?

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Dags_is_innocent, Jan 18, 2007.

?
  1. 5 Day Week with revised timings

35.0%
  2. 4 Day Week

65.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The 'majority' of the Green Army as I know it work 5 days a week. 0815 until 1630-1645.

Wednesday is a Sports Afternoon (usually).

Friday is a 1230 knock off after COs PT.

14 Sigs works 0800-1730 Mon-Thurs.

Sports Afternoons are a luxury, not the norm.

Does anyone think that to revert to the 'old' 5 day week would be better? I do. Do the maths, we are working longer hours.

An extra thought: If a Friday is planned to be worked, should we not revert to the old timings anyway for that week?

2. I spent just over 4 years at 14, and have very mixed opinions on the 4 day week.

The whole reason for it is because it is so far away from anywhere, therefore 1730 on a Thursday everyone just bomb-bursts, I believe this has a detrimental effect on the Regiment. The lads that do stay behind on weekends, the Brawdy Orphans(from all Squadrons) are all closer than the ones that dissapear, and work better together.

On the other hand every time I worked a 5 day week, the working hours never changed 0800 - 1730 Mon - Fri (and STILL no Sports Afternoon).

If they do bring in a 5 day week at Brawdy, then they would seriously have to look at the daily routine, or the numbers of people signing off there would soar.

3. The four day at 14 week was introduced so that people arrived there on posting with something to smile about. It's a good idea that I don't think really works in practice. Getting everything done in the 4 days places undue pressure on everyone and you find that most of RHQ and the Ops Block tend to work on Fri anyway!

The hours don't add up either. I know lots of units who work similar (identical in some cases) hours to 14 and put in a full five day week.

B-T

4. I think thats the point. You work the hours and take the extra day off (because you have already worked it...) If this is a wah you can ram it.

5. Give my regards to Steve V*****y :)

6. It certainly worked for me for the 3 and a half years i was there! I can see why it is done, making it a lot easier for people to get home at weekends.

7. It certainly worked for me for the 3 and a half years i was there! I can see why it is done, making it a lot easier for people to get home at weekends.

8. Not a Wah BM. I meant that they work 0800-1730 Mon to Fri. 9 Sup RLC and a couple of the Brigade Sig Sqns certainly do.

B-T

9. Exactly!! I used to shout this every time we had RSIT, LSI etc etc when they'd say...

"we'll lose the privilege of the 4-day week in preparation for this and go back to a 5-day week.."

We were actually putting in a 6-day week.

That old smoke and mirrors thing methinks..............

10. You have obviously never served at 7 Sigs...........Early knock offs at sports afternoons..yes really. Would luv a 4 day week

11. Doesn't that happen at just about every unit in the British Army, certainly the UK based units.

The only people that really benefit from the 4-day week are the pads and those that live within 2-3 hours of Brawdy. If you're married unaccompanied and live any further away, you are facing crippling fuel costs for your weekly commute. The young Sig/LCpls that get posted in to the Regt are lucky if they can afford to go home every weekend. The knock-on effect is that you have young soldiers stuck in the arrse end of Wales, with no money and bored out of their minds for 3 days, as opposed to being bored and penniless for just 2 days, if the 5-day week is reintroduced.

12. The location for the Regt is stupid anyway......The M4 Bridge tolls cost the unit a fortune each year and would cost even more if personnel claimed for what they should.

Move the unit to Lyneham when the Crabs bugger off.

13. An extra thought: If a Friday is planned to be worked, should we not revert to the old timings anyway for that week?[/quote]

Another thought: If there is a Bank Holiday on a Monday, the Regt works the Friday. In effect, taking the time off back. Just thought I would remind those out there of this minor fact.

14. Another thought: If there is a Bank Holiday on a Monday, the Regt works the Friday. In effect, taking the time off back. Just thought I would remind those out there of this minor fact.[/quote]

don't think-it is bad for you. Worked just fine when I was there-still see all the Dads doing the school run on fridays.

Ps-Dags is many things-innocent ain't one of 'em!!

15. Are they going back to a 5 day week?