14 Killed in Afghan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Zorro, Sep 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. That's bad, bad news indeed! I hope nobody was killed or injured.
    I can't find any updates on this. Anybody else had more luck?

MsG

2. Heres hoping there are no fatalities.

3. KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (AP) -- A NATO aircraft crashed in southern Afghanistan on Saturday, but it was not immediately clear whether there were any casualties, a spokesman said. Clashes across the volatile south killed nine Afghan policemen and at least 13 suspected Taliban.

A suicide attacker also detonated a car bomb near a U.S.-led coalition convoy, wounding a coalition soldier.

The "aircraft was supporting a NATO mission. It went off the radar and crashed in an open area in Kandahar," said Maj. Scott Lundy, spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force.

Lundy would not say how many people were aboard, but said "there was no indication of an enemy attack." The crash happened about 20 kilometers (12 miles) west of the city of Kandahar, he said.

Lundy gave no other details. But Haji Eisamuddin, a local tribal elder, told The Associated Press by phone that the wreckage of the plane was burning in an open field, and that coalition forces had started arriving at the scene.

"I can see three-four helicopters in the sky, and coalition forces are also arriving in the area," he said.

Shortly after the crash, a purported spokesman for the Taliban, Abdul Khaliq, claimed responsibility, but it was impossible to independently verify the claim.

"We used a stringer missile to shoot down the aircraft," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/09/02/afghan.plane.ap/index.html

4. 14 Squaddies has died. A very very sad day. RIP

5. 14 dead just said on sky news. I hope to god they have it wrong

6. MoD has said 14 British personnel have been killed :(

7. 12 RAF, 1 RM Details still coming in...

8. Jesus not again.................

A very sad day indeed :cry:
    RIP

9. Oh dear god please no

10. I don't have the words....

RIP

11. Fourteen British armed forces personnel died when their aircraft crashed in Afghanistan, the Defense Ministry said Saturday.

Military commanders in Afghanistan earlier said a NATO aircraft had crashed in southern Afghanistan on Saturday, but at the time, there was no word on whether there were any casualties.

It was not immediately clear whether there had been two separate crashes.

The "aircraft was supporting a NATO mission. It went off the radar and crashed in an open area in Kandahar," said Maj. Scott Lundy, spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force.

Lundy would not say how many people were aboard, but said "there was no indication of an enemy attack." The crash happened about 20 kilometers (12 miles) west of the city of Kandahar, he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/09/02/afghan.plane.ap/index.html

12. Lost for words. Such a sad loss of life. Thoughts with the families who have lost loved ones.

RIP